Floatplanes!

A few of us have recently started seaplane / float plane flying, which I have to say is yet another fantastic branch of our brilliant hobby. So far, so good, but I am specifically interested in how others are waterproofing their models. It appears that there are several methods that would do the job.

• 2 weeks later...
Advert

I too epoxy-glass the hull/fuselage, then paint. I film cover the wings but attempt to seal the edges with fuel proofer although mine are electric models. The inside of the fuselage I dope. The main problem is water ingress between the wing and fuselage. I have used thick foam tape and also silicone sealant but using clingfilm between the wing and fuselage while it dries to form a seal.

Receivers I wrap with clingfilm and mount them 'high' so that they don't stay submerged in any water that finds it's way into the bottom of the fuselage. ESCs I seal both ends with silicon but if they do get wet shake out the water and place in an airing cupboard or on a warm radiator to dry out. I have only done this when flying from fresh water lakes, sea water might be another matter!