Middle-phase flaperon set up

Hi folks,

Have finally got around to rebuiding my Chriss Foss Middle-phase as it was a damn good plane until I pranged it doing a bunt too close to the hill.

Have two aileron servos as I would like to set it up with flaperon mixing.

Controls are maxed with elevator 3/8" up and down, and ailerons 1/2" up and 3/8" down.

Does anyone have an idea as to what aileron movement to set as flaperons coupled to elevator?

Advert

Thanks Myron,

For my Bedlam, the recommendation is for half of elevator movement so it looks as if your control line hint is in the right area - mind, Stan Yeo works in metric and Chris Foss works in imperial!

Couln't quite get my control line models to look on a 2 1/2p piece but I did manage it on a threepenny bit once!

Whaytever did happen to the farthing - the coin with the robin on the back?

Myron,

It's the metric bit I don't understad about my Bedlam - something about modelmaniacs (mm) - maybe that's why it flies so well!

I too was born at a very early age - coincidence or what - and my first "bicycle" was a cast iron trike with pedals attached to the front wheel - bit like your farthing-penny thing.

In fear of getting kicked off this forum for digressing, I think I will ste up the Middle-phase with about 3/16" aileron movement, then see if I can do an eight sided loop - will keep clear of bunts for a while though have now learned that they are easier to do with the wind!

Will also try a cuban eight with one big loop and one small one - just to remember your first bicycle!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks,

Finally managed to fly my rebuit Middlephase today.

Didn't risk it last weekend as the wind was touching 30mph.

Today it was 40mph on the North York Moors and I thought what the hell!

Without any ballast at all, it flew like a baby in that wind - steady and sure.

The snap flaps worked well at 3mm and it would loop on a sixpence - oops, I think this is where the thread started!

Also flew my Bedlam with 8oz of lead in the fuz - what a superb and fast machine that is!

I think that Santa is going to bring me a Multiplex Buzzard for Xmas - can't wait to get that in the air!