Carb tuning

Charlie Whittaker

Posted by Jon - Laser Engines on 23/07/2020 15:30:37:

The chap in the OP is probably wishing he never asked..

Gangster, sorry, it just triggers me as no amount of arguing will make the nose up test any less pointless...unless the engine is pumped, then it can be used to help detect pump failure. Counter intuitive huh?

OS prices are...inventive, especially the 4 stroke side. If you want a cheap 2 stroke there are plenty 2nd hand or some new offerings from just engines.

4 stroke you only have Laser and saito to pick from if OS are deemed to expensive.

Richard...i did have stock embarrassed

I like pumped engines but the pump diaphragm is a built in failure mechanism. Particularly so if you use 'after run' oils. (Three in One oil destroyed my fishing reel 'rubberised' handle in seconds.)

Lasers selling well are they? Good show. But I probably won't even start my Spitfire until the winter. But I could do you one of these ultra-thrilling 'box opening' videos if you like

Advert

Selling well, yeaa..a little too well.

Corona has slowed my progress and now the company that do our case hardening has lost half our stuff. If they dont find it that means another 3 weeks before i can finish anything. Bah!

Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/07/2020 15:59:02:

I like pumped engines but the pump diaphragm is a built in failure mechanism. Particularly so if you use 'after run' oils. (Three in One oil destroyed my fishing reel 'rubberised' handle in seconds.)

If your using Three in one oil as a after-run oil your asking for trouble . Its horrible stuff and best suited for squeaky door hinges . Its acidic/ sets like varnish and will probably destroy any diaphragms or rubber bits by making them go hard or brittle . Use a proper oil designed for after run or Air tool oil . If treated properly diaphragm pumps are not "built in failure mechanism" . They do require replacing occasionally and are a serviceable item

Sorry Charlie . This has gone completely off topic . There are numerous post on carb tuning try the search facility . MDS engines did have a problem with their carbs due to poor fits and some are almost impossible to get right. They were cheap engines but many still run perfectly well providing you dont ask too much of them . High revs and tuned pipes will kill them very quickly . 

Edited By Engine Doctor on 23/07/2020 16:39:19

Posted by Engine Doctor on 23/07/2020 16:28:15:
Posted by Richard Clark 2 on 23/07/2020 15:59:02:

If your using Three in one oil as a after-run oil your asking for trouble . Its horrible stuff,is acidic/ sets like varnish and will probably destroy any diaphragms or rubber bits by making them go hard or brittle . Use a proper oil designed for after run or Air tool oil . If treated properly diaphragm pumps are not "built in failure mechanism" . They do require replacing occasionally and are a serviceable item.

I fully agree about Three in one and would never use it in an engine. In fact I haven't used it on anything for years. (I use Mercedes branded silicone based light oil meant for the seals on their 'hard top' convertibles in my air retracts and it's fine.)

Any part that requires replacement before the whole thing wears out is a failure mechanism. It's why such things need to be replaced. Oil filters, suspension bushes, windscreen wipers, and brake discs on cars are other examples.

As for OS, I very much doubt the pump diaphragms are readily available in the UK (though I admit I have not so far needed to try). Anyway OS say not to take the pump or regulator apart under any circumstances, not that I can see it doing any harm.

Edited By Richard Clark 2 on 23/07/2020 16:58:37