interferance

I have a couple of brushless powered electric models both of which suffer from glitches. It seems to happen when the model is in certain positions in the sky and happens every time i fly them. I have the speed controller as far away from the reciever as i can get, and have tried various aerial positions. Ive even tried wraping the reciever in tin foil none of which have made any difference. Does a more exspensive speed controller help? and what about these jeti mpd recievers. help!

Advert

Hi Paul, and welcome to the frustrating world of electric flying :)
Electric models are inherently more difficult to suppress than IC powered ones. ALL the electric components including even the batteries and cables can potentially radiate electrical "noise"
ESCs and motors are particularly troublesome. Most of my fleet is electric, and the most problematic is the EDF Sabre
( electric ducted fan ).
I have now gone 2.4 GHz, and my glitching problems have disappeared - (Insert smug grin here )
Now of course I am NOT suggesting that you take such a radical step, but here are a few tips.
Use the best receiver and ESC you can afford.
MPX IPD receivers ( and the Jeti ones ) are excellent.
Jeti ESCs are the best in my opinion - but Hacker also do a nice job.
Fit ferrite rings to all of the servo leads, and the ESC lead, just where they enter the receiver. If you want more info on this part, just post for help.
Keep the receiver, and its aerial, and servo leads as far as possible from the ESC.
Tinfoil around the receiver will only help with microwave interference....but it wont hurt to do it.
The black art is a funny old girl, and some models will exhibit no problems at all, even when ignoring some of the "rules",and others are a complete nightmare. Good luck, and HTH.
(PS buy a 2.4 GHz set.... insert winky here )

I have not extended any leads on battery or esc. Ihave tried the aerial in the usual postion up to the fin, along the the wing and along the bottom of the fuselage, not always in a straight line but in a zig zag too, and it aint made no difference. The models in question are a rcm pelikan wild cap with axi 2820 10, tower pro 60 amp ecs running on 3s lipo with futaba r 137f reciever. blue arrow champion shock flyer with blue arrow brushless motor, tornado esc and r114f futaba reciever. i have a mini funtana with e flight motor (inrunner)tower pro esc r114f reciever and it has never Glitches. ps i got a funjet for xmas and any suggestions on a fast setup would be most welcome, cheers

hi paul
could i ask if you know what current you are pulling on the AXI i do know that there were problems when running on 10nicads or 3s cells and near 40amps.i have also heard reports on Tornado esc's being a little glitchy although i've not had it happen on mine. i notice that all your receivers are only single conversion ppm format meaning their interfereance rejection is very low when compared to dual conversion or even better pcm.
i used to have a model that glitched like mad on PPM receivers so i tried a pcm receiver i never got one hit after that.
there are many things to take into consideration when setting an aircraft up including parallel paths ie cables running along side each other etc etc.
just a few things for you to look at
regards
nasa

Hmm, the old debate about PPM versus PCM rears its ugly head agin.
I would NEVER use PCM again, after losing a favourite model due to lock out of fail safe. At least with PPM i could see glitching and interference problems, and hopefully recover. having said that... I have now gone 2.4GHz so interference and shoot downs etc are a thing of the past.

• 5 months later...
I have several electric models fitted with various receivers, brushless & brushed motors using nicads & lipos and have had numerous glitches. Two models dived in and were write offs.The only common factor is my Futaba FFT9CP on chanel 75. I have fitted a new RF Module but am still getting glitches on 2 of our flying sites, usually in line with radio towers fitted with various aerials including micro wave dishes. Has anyone had similar experiences & if so what was the solution if any? Would the 2.4 ghz system negate alleged micro wave interference?
Yours hopefully, Tony.

Well despite some rumours stating that microwave radiation will affect 2.4Ghz, I have flown a parkflyer at our local park, which has a huge tower bristling with all sorts of comms dishes /aerials etc on the roof of the police headquarters.
Did get glitching last time I flew with 35 mhz, but on the Spekky....no problems.
JMTPW - no guarantees I am afraid.

Timbo is 100% right, forget 35mhz go to 2.4ghz either Futaba or Spektrum. Our club is near to a motorway service station and you can see nine surrounding phone masts from our field. Whereas those with 35mhz sets are suffering gliches, those of us with 2.4 are suffering no interference at all. We have seen the future.