Removable u/c

fly boy3

Hi all. I am told one of the Bixler models has an u/ c that can be used as such or removed. This seems good idea for use on differing runways such as Tarmac, grass etc. Any one have any ideas of how to install this in a model other than a foamy.? The long grass on our pitch does cause problems with Rog sometimes.

Advert

Thanks both. At the moment I have I have nothing suitable for this idea. Soon I will be building Sid King,s Novice e, and if it it an easy mod may think about it on this model during the build. Do Bixlers have ply plate to incorparate the u/c clamp screws, or is it totally different ?

Obviously you need to have a strong enough mount for the U/C. Then it needs to be of a design where installing and removing the actual U/C isn't too complicated.

I thought that the design on the GWS Estarter foamy that I used to have looked sensible: a single wire that is shaped so that it remains upright in a slot in a plastic bracket, and a couple of small screws to hold it there. I never used it, though, flying over pretty long grass.

The Novice E looks heavier, so the design would need to be a little more sturdy.

Here's a couple of pages from the Estarter Manual:

**LINK**

**LINK**

Hi FB3,

Here's a pic of the Bixler's removable u/c.

640_bixler_landinggear.jpg

The legs are squeezed together to introduce it in the black plastic bit that is glued in a slot in the foam fuselage.

To remove it, just pinch the legs together and slide it out. Exactly the same for the tail wheel. No tools required. yes

I used it with success on my Peter Miller's Ballerina build. I used the former in front of the wing's LE and made a ply pocket with the corresponding measures.

1484_fuse_weight_900.jpg

I also covered the leg wires with some plastic A4 sheets binder (drop shaped) from an office supply shop.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris