Choosing my first charger

StefanoL

Advert

Posted by StefanoL on 17/10/2020 18:39:25:

I have to confess I'm a little bit confused, probably because I haven't read the guidelines for safe charging (yet) and I am not familiar with balanced charging.

Why can't we monitor the individual cell voltages of every cell being charged when we charge in parallel? Some of the parallel charging units which have been recommended here (thanks to all, it's been really helpful!) have large touch displays, why shouldn't they display separate data for the, say, two batteries being charged in parallel?

When charging 2 packs in parallel, both packs are conected to the same balancer socket on the charger. If the individual cells are connected in parallel they will be at the same voltage because they are in parallel. The charger has no way of knowing if the cell voltages would be different if they were not in parallel. To do that would require each of the packs being charged in parallel to be connected to separate balancer sockets, and I am not aware of any charger that offers that option.

Dick

I would like to thank you all for your answers, they were very helpful.

I own a few power supplies (leftover of a previous activity) and, since I am just a beginner, I would probably choose a small DC charger such as the ISDT Nano.

At the field we have AC outlets, I could bring one of my bulky power supplies with me and the small DC charger or possibly buy another small AC charger. As an alternative to Overlander (very good), is the SkyRC line good?