'C' rating?

Den Moran

Hello, everyone.

I've just bought a Hobbyking 'Skycat'. It uses a 6s battery, around 3000 mah (most recommend 3300mah). I see from Youtube videos that the flyers are using a 60-120 C rated 3300mah 6s pack from Turnigy - that, in classic Hobbyking Style, is no longer available/on sale. It has an 80amp esc.

I have ordered some Turnigy batteries (6s,3300mah) rated at 25-50C. My knowledge of this area is scant, so I would appreciate any help with this, please.

Thanks very much, keep safe everyone, Den , Cymru.

Advert

Running at even 25C will theoretically exceed your 80A speed controller's rating but the voltage loss under load will be less as the C rating of the chosen pack increases. This assumes that claimed C rating is accurate.

So much depends on the pack's ability to hold up its voltage under load and this will relate more to actual quality rather than claimed ratings but in theory your pack should be OK.

Edited By Martin Harris on 28/10/2020 11:51:05

Den

As Martin says manufacturers discharge C ratings tend to be more for marketing than actual fact.

The current Hobby King variant of the SkyCat is called the FlyCat but is otherwise identical.

Users suggest 3 to 4 minutes flight time using a 3000 mAh 6s. Even a 3 minute flight is only discharging at a 40 C rate, 4 minutes is a 30C rate. Even a 30C discharge is 90 A which would be giving the 80A ESC a hard time

On this basis at 25-50 C rated battery will be quite adequate although as in almost any EDF they will be worked quite hard.

You can see why a Wattmeter can be a valuable tool as you can measure the actual full power amps both to get an idea of the likely maximum full power duration and to see how close it is to the ESC's limit.

Den

I have to make an apology. I got my C discharge rates wrong and by a factor of 2!sad

A 6 minute flight is a discharge of 10C so a 3 minute flight is a discharge 20C and a 4 minute is 15C.

What this means is your 25-30 C pack is perfectly adequate within the limits of the 80 A ESC but my comment that EDFs work their batteries quite hard still stands.

Sorry for the confusion.

Simon

Thanks for taking the trouble, Simon. I'm not a whizz kid in terms of flying, preferring the middle and lower speed ranges in flight, so it's re-assuring to know that, with care, I'll be able to proceed to enjoy the Flycat (when we are allowed out to play!). Diolch yn fawr eto, Den, Cymru.