Electric motor hunting after a few mains usage

alex nicol

Gents,

As the heading states I know absolutely nothing about electrickery motors.

I have a student at the moment who has a high wing Banggood trainer type foamie with some switchable stabilisation built in. As a model for a trainee I almost hate to admit this but Imho performs well for its purpose.

That said recently the motor has started hunting after a couple of minutes usage............ Any ideas as to why

(I've yet to try another battery/charger combo)

Thanks

Alex

Advert

Try a different battery. It could well be that under load the battery falls below the voltage protection level set on the esc and so stop driving the motor at full power but once off load it recovers enough to restart - and once again the voltage drops.

It's either that or the esc thinks the battery is a (say) 3S but is actually a 2S with a similar result.

In any case monitor the battery voltage.

Geoff

I would say it's a battery problem, how old is the battery, as Geoff said check you have the correct size, in most cases we fly for 5min then replace the battery with a fully charged one, any longer and it either hunts or dies, this is mostly 3s types

Well when you find the problem let me know as I changed the motor wiring as suspected the connector bullets, then the esc, finally the motor and never tracked down the issue. Since then the model has never flown as lost my flying lake as the model was a Polaris.