Max Thrust Riot Pro Build Balsa Series

Advert

Yes, I have built (assembled?) one and successfully flown it.

Strangely, having had and enjoyed immensely a 'foamie' 'Riot' for 8+ years, I had literally traced all the well-worn components with the intention of building my own balsa and ply version. Then, as if reading my mind, a balsa/ply one appeared on the market.

It is as good, if not better, than the foam variant. I did make a few modifications and changes and have corresponded with Mark Tilbury at 'Max Thrust', informing him of my feedback. (Mine was a first batch apparently, didn't even have label stickers on the box!).

OK, mine is powered by a Ripmax Quantum 40 800Kv motor. This weighs the same as the Overlander motor mentioned in the adverts (210gms). 12x6 APC E balanced prop and from an assortment of makes of 4S LiPo up to 3300mAh capacity. ESC a Hobby King 80A SBEC.

Servo are a mixture of Hitec HS422 on Rudder and Elevator respectively, with smaller Hitec HS85BB in each wing for aileron control.

Mods include: binning the 'rock hard' wheels for softer larger ones. Binning the awful out of balance, nylon spinner.

Major modification concerns the C of G, or rather getting the model to balance at the recommended range of 75-90mm from the LE. There is a very clever strain relief metal alloy plate that supports the tail wheel assembly. This removes strain on the rudder above. However, this metal piece weighs 10gms. This results in excess 'church roof' at the nose end! Also as designed with the LiPo inserted in the fuselage, I could not achieve the stated C of G. (I did a trial run and would have needed 8oz of weight in the cowling if I hadn't done the mod). So I cut a 'slot' opening in the front bulkhead and slid the LiPo forward into the cavernous cowl area. Hey presto! balance achieved, oh and I replaced the metal plate with a strong ply piece instead.

The wire control snakes for R and E, needed attention with 'Duraglit' too, as they were stiff and measuring on a meter, put a strain and resultant high Amp load on the servo operation. Once smooth as silk the load and control response was spot on.

Flying, if you've had a 'Riot', you know what they are capable of and this one is no exception and all the better on 4S. Oh, I added the LED wing lights which aren't featured in this kit.

I reckon Mr Foss and his 'Wottie' family of aircraft have a very strong competitor now. (And I do own and fly most of the Wot4, Uno Wot, Acrowot too!)

Max-Thrust Riot #1.jpg

Max Thrust Riot #2.jpg

Mark

As mentioned, mine was a first production batch however, it did have a set of barely legible photo copied instructions. Mark Tilbury responded that he didn't want a poor translation version so inserted the pages I received. Apparently a 'proper' printed version will feature in future batches. If you want a copy of the copies I have, 'PM' me. Enjoy your 'Riot' Cheers CK

• 2 years later...

I built the pro build Riot and using a quantum 55 with 80 amp esc and 12x6 prop on 5s lipo and all who have had a flight say how brilliant it is , it's a set up I could highly recommend and I'm now doing a ruckus to match then the double trouble if the motor fits .