Corona Receiver

I bought a Corona 8 Channel 35 MHz receiver a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. SoThis week I bought a Corona RP4Si Synthesised receiver from HK. Firstly there were no instructions at all, easily remedied by downloading them (unfortunate situation for those buyers without internet access).

I spent about an hour trying to get it to lock on to the transmitter. Nothing doing, so I tried another crystal, different channel, in the Transmitter, a common Futaba. Nothing. Then I picked the receiver up and the aerial fell off.  It had apparently been only supported by melted insulation. So it is going back! If you do buy one of these beware, but dont tug on the aerial with any force as it is very thin. Probably best to double it back and secure the first inch or so to the receiver case with tape.

Advert

The Corona crystal controlled R/Xs have a brilliant reputation but the synthesised ones are getting very bad press, many like yours and others that simply will not lock onto the T/X signal. Rumour has it that their recently released 2.4 Gig system just will not work at all

I've got two RP4SI's, both lock on easily - tx aerial up, switch on the rx, press the button twice as per instructions and they lock on.  They do take a few seconds to initialise themselves on switch-on, but reaquire the tx immediately if the signal is lost - I tested by switching the tx off for a few seconds.

Maybe I've been lucky?

Agreed.

The RP4SI is a great little receiver. I have used one in a small model for some time with no problems with both  JR and  Futaba Transmitters on  different frequencies (requires the resetting of the frequency each time I change transmitter, but just a needs a couple of presses of the button). It does, as stated earlier,  take a couple of seconds to ‘lock’ onto its ‘set’ transmitter when switching on but remains locked throughout with no glitching and has survived my less that gentle arrivals.

With a range of around one mile it has to be good value.

PS. The correct frequency setting procedure (if you haven’t the data sheet) is…Transmitter on, mode PPM, receiver/model close to the transmitter, connect receiver battery, let the LED flash twice, press button for two seconds, release, press again, the LED will flash then stay on….locked on the frequency. Range check and off you go.

• 1 month later...
I had a similar problem with the synthesised Rxs from Corona. They just wouldn't see my (Futaba) transmitters.....I sent them back & apparently they checked out OK.....I have several of the crystal controlled Rxs & think they are great little units.....no problems at all but I do agree with Richard about the aerials.......a bit flimsy to say the least