small ic planes

Phil Taylor 2

Advert

Hi Phil, if you are looking for some fun and can handle a razor plane the Cambrian funfighters fly really well, I must confess to only ever building the spit, they are a nice straightforward build but do cry out for tissue and dope (or whatever the modern equivalent is PolyCotton and something LOL)
http://www.phillsmodels.com/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.phillsmodels.com/acatalog/Cambrian.html&CatalogBody

I agree with Danny about the Fun Fighters....I had a Spit in my late teens back in 1904 (in fact I recently found the original pilot in the back of a drawer!!!) powered by an OS Max 25 & it was fantastic....the ATS Mayneline guys kit them now & are often at the shows (Weston Park, Wings & Wheels etc) with about 20 Fun Fighters. Mind you they all seem to sport .32/36s on pipes & go like the proverbial....good fun though!!! You could cover em in silver film & apply some Prymol before painting them in camouflage colours....mind you dope does smell good...I remember when I was a lad...(contd page 94)

Same here Steve, OS Max 25 still have the engine on the shelf in a ziplock bag from thirty years ago, seized solid, still half a prop attached and the blue spinner it had when it finally met its maker. I have heard that those nutters from Mayneline rarely take all their funfighters away with them due to crashes and mid-airs, I think mainly to do with the extreme flying. There from Redruth club aren't they? I am looking forward to seeing these guys, I do hope they will be at Weston Park, it is nice to see the fun can still be in modelling. On your final point Steve, I heard a rumour celulose dope was going to be banned, some EU directive, probably unneven molecular shape or something, better stock up LOL

I think I still have my OS25 somewhere too but in bits...I ran it in an IC car for a while but the plain crank bearing didn't like the side loads & went kind of oval!!!

Its true that the rate of attrition is high when the Mayneline guys are about but its all good fun.....I'm pretty sure they will be at Weston so keep an eye out.

I wouldn't be surprised if the EU banned dope....or methanol for that matter...its all hazardous stuff innit. If they had their way we'd all be flying foam parkflyers at 5mph 10 miles from the nearest person & wearing full safety gear...

Ooops...we seemed to have highjacked this thread into a trip down memory lane & an anti EU rant....sorry Phil.....

Small models...yes...you could try the Pilot kits from Slough RC Models (see ad in front of RCM&E) Extra, Sukhoi & CAP...1M span...designed for a 10 so should go well on a 20!!!! Or you could convert a Ripmax EP Spit or Mustang(strengthen the firewall though) to take a 25 2-stroke or (even better) a 30 4-stroke or take a look at some of the plans available.....when I were a lad we all started with 0.5cc diesels & worked up to a 25 after about 10 years...these young 'uns don't know they're born starting off with a 40 & full house gear AND electric starters...when when I were a lad....(aaarrrgh somebody stop him!!!!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
The best answer is to learn to buold from plans, you get lots of full size plans free in the mags. There is a good book aviable on building from plans, The publishers of RCM&E used to do it.
Building from plans is easy, you mark out and cut all the bits and then,guess what, you have a kit and you know where to go from there.
YES, the EU IS trying to ban cellulose dope. They want you to use some other stuff. Celllulose is excreted natrurally from the body. the stuff they want you to use accumulates in the body. That info comes from a full size aircraft maintenance company boss.
Stock up NOW!!!