RC aeromodelling promoting

Clarence Ragland

Posted by Clarence Ragland on 23/01/2021 13:48:04:

Sorry, I wondered about that, my bad. I clicked Quote and that's what happens

Honestly, there's no need to apologise for it Clarence, I've never seen anyone else picked up for that even though it's done on a regular basis by others. I think at 74 you're entitled to be cut some slack regarding IT.

Edited By Phil McCavity on 23/01/2021 14:20:38

Advert

Posted by Clarence Ragland on 23/01/2021 13:48:04:

Sorry, I wondered about that, my bad. I clicked Quote and that's what happens

No, you click 'Quote' and then click well below the reproduced quote, if you see what I mean? Don't put your curser at the end of the quoted piece or it will not separate from the original post.

I use to teach people to hover helis and a little forward flight instruction. What I did was stand to the right of the student and let him work the throttle/collective stick and I worked the cyclic stick. I would have him raise the heli with the collective stick a few inches and then down again, while I was controlling the cyclic. We would do this several times so he could get the feel of it. Once he got comfortable holding the heli in a hover a couple of feet, while I was controlling the cyclic, I would tell him to forget the cyclic for a few seconds, because the gyro was holding the tail, so there was little to think about for those few seconds. I would have him put his thumb on top of the cyclic while I kept the helicopter steady. This way, he could feel precisely how to move the cyclic.

Then I would have him put the heli down for a break. This would go on for the entire fuel tank until he could eventually control both sticks with me keeping an eye on everything, only occasionally giving a nudge here and there when needed. Most of those I trained this way learned to hover within 2 or 3 tanks of fuel, some a bit quicker. Never broke anything in the process. I probably trained a hundred or so doing this. I sold many helicopters this way. Some said they couldn't afford to buy, when I asked them if they would like to fly a heli.

I said , no matter, just do it anyway.

Edited By Clarence Ragland on 23/01/2021 18:09:22