Tx16S and S6R

Brian Dorricott 1

Hi guys back confused again . Last week I missed a step out of setting up a S6R and it gave me a headache until someone kindly pointed out what I missed . Thinking my QX7 was showing its age and looking a bit shabby and being unsupervised and having a PayPal account (wife out) I bought a TX16S and it arrived today . Now I was under the impression these transmitters could handle anything especially in the Frsky range so I hooked up my S6R and tried to bind . The S6R is the latest firmware ACCCT LBT and works just fine with QX7 but not with the TX16S , tried all combos but no result so I flashed the S6R to FCC and guess what straight in first time no problems . Did I miss something does the TX16S not like the LBT mode , i updated the internal firmware in the TX16S to the latest but it will only bind with FCC flashed receivers and got the same results with an S8R so not a receiver problem . Anyone any ideas on this one Google didn't help much just confused the issue . Worked a treat out of the box with Spectrum receivers by the way .

Sounds like you have the multiprotocol module set to transmit with the wrong protocl at present. There are multiple Frsky options (d8 and D16, and ACCST v1 and 2 in both LBT and FCC versions). I you don't get the right one it won't work. See the Multiprotocol module homepage which links to a page with details of all the protocols available...

EDIT - Here is the list of Frsky protocols supported currently in the MP module, check which one you are using and adjust; if you are using ACCST v1 EU you'll probably need FrskyX EU_16, or if ACCST v2 EU use FrskyX2 EU_16) :

frsky mp mod list.jpg

Edited By MattyB on 17/12/2020 10:29:01

Thanks Matty B I will give that a try when I have some spare time . Whats everyone's impressions of the TX16S , I think they are absolutely spot on for the price and quality . Just a little concern voiced on you tube that the power may be down on a dedicated transmitter and only use it as a park flyer . The spec states 22dbm that's 150mw in English money and I assume a 2db aerial , can't get to field to test range at moment but spec wise that's not park flyer that's full normal range .

The multiprotocol module includes 4 RF chips sharing a single RF amplifier. Not all the RF chips are able to output the same RF level, e.g. the CC2500 (FrSky) can only do +1dbm, while the CYRF (DSM) can do +4dbm. As a result, the maximum RF power output differs depending on the protocol selected.

While the spec. may say 22dbm, you can only get that with some of the RF chips (note that I believe 22dbm is not legal in the UK).

From my personal observations, I see the RSSI on a FrSky receiver is lower when using a multiprotocol module compared to using a FrSky module.

One other thing to be aware of is that the "unique ID" of a multiprotocol module when using any FrSky protocol is NOT guaranteed to be different to the unique ID of all FrSky modules/transmitters. This could lead to a conflict where multiprotocol module will appear bound to a FrSky receiver that is bound to a FrSky module/Tx.

Mike

Posted by Mike Blandford on 18/12/2020 14:46:54:

The multiprotocol module includes 4 RF chips sharing a single RF amplifier. Not all the RF chips are able to output the same RF level, e.g. the CC2500 (FrSky) can only do +1dbm, while the CYRF (DSM) can do +4dbm. As a result, the maximum RF power output differs depending on the protocol selected.

While the spec. may say 22dbm, you can only get that with some of the RF chips (note that I believe 22dbm is not legal in the UK).

From my personal observations, I see the RSSI on a FrSky receiver is lower when using a multiprotocol module compared to using a FrSky module.

This is one of the reasons I like the look of the TX12 - it has the cut down module with only the CC2500, but that is running at full power vs the 4 in 1. If you don’t need the full set of protocols (being heavily invested in Frsky stuff I don’t) it makes a lot of sense. The cheapest TX16SE variant is also equipped with that module too, though it lacks the Hall effect gimbals of the more expensive variants.

Edited By MattyB on 21/12/2020 11:57:40