AS3X Forward Programming with AR630 and NX6

Chris King 3

Hi, I wonder if anyone has setup an AR630 for AS3X and could help me please?

I go through the first time setup and do the orientation etc and the giros work because I can see them changing on the Gyroscope screen but no servos move after I throttle up and down and move the Rx.

It's the channel assignment thats confusing me. In Gain Channle Select I'm assigning 'Aux1: D' as thats the unused channel and I assum Input: D is the switch that will be used.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Observations Chris, as we have our own preferences and flying styles.

Very little gain is needed from a stabiliser, and in-flight gain is not needed at all in my opinion.

A recent set up for a colleague occurred " out of the box " without any challenges.

Stabilisation is normally fitted to a trimmed model, and test flown with the least gain, then increased, if necessary on subsequent flights.

Aux 1 is normally on/ off.

And am guessing there lies your problem

These set ups are best done in the model with the unit fixed down facing the forward axis

On a table for example, the whole thing is nigh impossible to set up due to chatter.

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/12/2020 14:04:33

On Chris

Go to your NX6 " Monitor "

This screen shows a you actual stick movements, and switch movements visually with cursors along a line.

See what switch D and Aux1 are actually doing when you operate them one at a time.

Aux1 is normally you flap switch channel 5 and Aux1 normally ch6,

Make sure that channels contain no mixes or expo

Edited By Denis Watkins on 19/12/2020 14:25:56

Hmm, very strange. Seems to be working now and it's using switch D but in the reverse sense to what i'd expect. So position2 is off, 1 is on mild and 0 is more extreme.

Not sure what i did to make it work but at least I have something to work with now!

It seems like a very complicated area which is hardly covered at all by the Spektrum documentation.

• 2 weeks later...

All my AS3X receivers won't initialise their 'auto mode' until the throttle has first reached some minimum value (forgotten exactly what - ?40%?). So, walking out for a flight there is no auto-levelling going on but walking back afterwards the servos flicker non-stop. (Most are AR636 but all mine work the same)

Take off the prop and BLIP THE THROTTLE to get into auto-levelling mode, then proceed with your setup. A quick wiggle of the model in any axis will confirm if active or not. (Surfaces will oppose movement)

BTW my preferred selection for gyros is OFF for flight, but they are fantastic for landing in a typhoon, so very handy to have available as needed.

Bruce

I was blipping the throttle all the way open (with throttle cutoff activated) each time I tested it so was sure that wasnt the problem.

Wasnt sure what I did differently when it did work though.

I did notice that when working it is was very active for ailerons but hardly noticable for pitch/yaw.

Posted by Chris King 3 on 28/12/2020 09:31:29:

I was blipping the throttle all the way open (with throttle cutoff activated) each time I tested it so was sure that wasnt the problem.

Wasnt sure what I did differently when it did work though.

Opening the throttle with a cut off in the TX activated most likely will do nothing as the output signal from the TX to the throttle channel is still zero throttle.

If it needs to "see" throttle on then you need to activate the throttle channel.

Obviously take care when doing this.

Posted by Chris King 3 on 28/12/2020 10:41:50:

Actually that does make a lot of sense but the AR630 manual says 'CAUTION: Activate throttle cut to prevent motor operationduring this test'.

Maybe that's an error on their part.

Fatal error on your part, you read the manual, I thought we weren't meant to do that sad

I would think it's an error, probably put in every time they mention operating the throttle, certainly with a throttle cut you can do what you like with the stick and the RX won't notice or see any difference so nothing will activate.

Try it both ways.

Posted by Chris King 3 on 28/12/2020 13:58:38:

Lesson learnt. NEVER EVER RTFM!

Glad we got it sorted between us, but very disappointing to be such a (sadly typical) poorly written manual! A direction to set 'throttle cut' and then raise the throttle to activate something is just plain WRONG.

I come from a Heli background where we ALWAYS take off blades or pull two motor wires, and racequads where props are always removed before 'playing' on the bench. So it is ingrained for me to take off a plane propeller.

Even with that done, before a 'throttle blip' on the workbench a 'pause and review' moment is time well spent.

Spektrum technical director John Adams (youtube SpektrumRC) put up a series of excellent videos in 2014 which are better than any printed manual. They're still around and in April 2020 new versions for the 637 and 630 were added. Worth a look, I reckon.

I've progressed with this configuration but I'm, still a bit confused over channel assignment.

I've got AS3X working on switch D and it's on by default then gets reduced in Position 1 and off in position 2.

I want to set SAFE up. As its only a 6 Channel Tx and I only have one spare channel does that mean I only get one channel to left for the AS3X gain, SAFE and Panic button or can they 'share' a channel?

Chris, the whole of the instructions " Assume " the receiver is fixed in the model

Because, the receiver barely moves fractions from its axis in the model while bench testing.

The " SAFE " is preset in the Rx, from the manual " expert pilots " had a hand in it,

The AR630 is a full range 6-channel receiver with built in AS3X and SAFE stabilization, which counters the effects of wind, turbulence and torque using 3-axis MEMS gyro and exclusive flight control software tuned by expert RC pilots. There is no delay in control response or limits on control throws.

Sorry I dont understand you reply Denis.

My understanding is you can control the AS3X gain (which I'ce done on switch D) but also the level of SAFE and can have a Panic button to get yo back to staight and level.

My question is, do I need 3 channels (which I dont have spare) for each of these functions?

I'm aware the control surfaces wont do much on the bench. They move when I move the Rx and move more when on the highest AS3X gain which confirms it's working.