Hello

Hi, I'm William I'm 41 and from the South Linc's area. I'm about to embark on a new hobby flying RC aircraft(well trying too). Ive always wanted to try this hobby but never had the funds until now.Now i have the funds but little time as i have two little ones .I'm going to try and teach myself with a flyingwings v trainer Ive just purchased. I think I'm going to need loads of help so ill be making plenty of requests on the beginners forum , any replies well be very gratefully received. Many thanks William.

Advert

Hi William, Yes, find your local club, they will help you with someone to teach you to fly (you could learn yourself, but it's very difficult, and almost certainly you will break things, many things)  Also, they will help you out with the insurance you need, in case you damage something or someone

Finally, please ask

ernie

• 1 month later...
Eric, I would never argue with that of course ... But having no other option than to "Go it alone" i did just that. I am living proof (dont think i killed anyone else along the way?) that it is quite possible to teach yourself. The best thing you could do William is as Eric said join a club. Before you even take your model out to a field, buy yourself a r/c simulator. These vary greatly in price, but even the FMS simulator will teach you the most important thing ORIENTATION OF YOUR MODEL. As everyone has said just going out and trying to fly your model is pretty much a recipe for disaster. You can crash a simulator a thousand times and start again. Trying to fly your model once might be all it can take! Why not try to make the best of both worlds? Find a local club if you can and buy a simulator. Spend many hours on the sim before even thinking about risking your model.Sims can never match "real" flying time, but i would give them a 100% thumbs up for learning the basics. John

William, Ive just looked up the cost of the "FMS" simulator where i live in Germany. The software is of course free on the net, but a set that includes a usb controller and a cd costs 20 euros. I am pretty sure you should be able to get that for a similar price in England. That must be a lot cheaper than a wrecked model? Regards, John.

Hi William and a late welcome to “The Friendly Forum” You have already made a good choice of first ever RC model - one which I often recommend to complete newcomers.

If you have not already done so, could I ask you to have a read of these few guidelines we have listed to help you with using the forum…. read the “pinned stickies” which are shown with a red “pin”.

Here’s a few other links which may be helpful.

Perhaps this in particular may help

And this.

For a list of clubs in your area try this…. http://www.bmfa.org/clubs/index.html

Finally…..please consider filling in a little about yourself on the profile page - that way you will be sure to get more response to your questions!

You don’t have to go overboard - take a look at a few others and you will get the idea.

Once again, welcome on board and have fun!  Timbo.

Alles klar ???? Never mind. Ive only been into this site for a few weeks, but i can assure you that someone will always be around to answer your questions. If you dont want to complete any links, fear not. Most dont. Just flip around the site. I always manage to learn something. Happy Landings William. John.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, sorry for the lack of details. I would want the wing to be 1 metre + with electric power (prefer brushless power), it doesnt have to be really fast or wildly acrobatic just good stall characteristics. Perhaps the Flyingwings slipstream.? I would like to build but dont mind RTF. Any advice very gratefully recieved.