Dihederal

Hamish

Currently assembling a Boomerang and learning a lot in the process ie expoxy gets everywhere so need to cover up well.

I am looking at a second model that has been built and has no dihederal, again with the big wing top mounted.  Will this model allow more manouvers than the Boomerang?  Unfortunately I do not no the name of the model.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=280277603239

Any comments much appreciated

Advert

Hamish

I don't know this model, but often dihedral is incorporated to overcome aerodynamic problems. It is often used to prevent pitch changes in knife edge flight. You need to think about it before you mod the design, because it's usually difficult to change later.

HTH

Not necessarily Hamish.

The WOT 4 has a high wing but could not be considered a trainer.

Likewise some low wing planes are suitable as trainers.

So the function of the plane is not defined purely by the vertical location of the wing. It is also about the wing shape, the aerofoil used, the wing loading, the diherdal, the control surface sizes and deflections amongst other things.

If you are flying a trainer, please do not feel that once you can take off and land that your trainer is no longer of any use. It can assist in the training of aerobatics, precision flying and of course learning to fly in progresively worse flying conditions.

Andy

Thanks for your information.

I understand what you say and I am under no allusion that once you can take off and land that that is the end of the learning proces.  As far as I am concerned this will go on for many years.

I was  trying to assess if a trainer has limitations in how it can perform

Hamish

A trainer certainly does have its limitations but so do a lot of aircraft. What the trainer will do is to teach you the basics and allow you to get the feel of flying. From there you can decide exactly which path you wish to follow first.

If you wish to go scale or semi scale the the trainer will offer you quite a lot, since you can always experiment once you have got used to the way she handles. Flaps being an obvious thing to try with a trainer.

If you want to do 3D flying then the trainer will not be much help once you can fly it reasonable well.

Want to do jets? Your trainer will not help you much here either.

3D is advanced aerobatics where much of the time the plane is being held aloft on the propeller and normally at quite low altitudes.

Scale has many formats, sounds like stand off scale is kind of where you are heading. This is where a plane looks like a certain plane but is not over the top in scale detail.

Whatever you do, enjoy it.

Hi Hamish

3D refers to 3 dimensional aerobatics. These are extreme aerobatics for which you will need a rather extreme (and powerful) plane and have the flying skills to match!

A good trainer (with ailerons) will however be able to perform quite a range of aerobatic manouvers and learning how to do them well will improve your flying skill considerably but always take it a small step at a time. When flying trying to run before you can walk nearly always leads to disaster. 

The WOT4 will virtually fly anything you might want it to - been around for years and still sells like hot cakes. Whilst not a trainer per se if you have some stick time there is no reason you cannot use it as a follow on and even train on it with buddy leads. I actually found mine easier to fly that the M/Px Twin Star I taught myself on - less prone to ballooning and flies like on rails. RCME did a re-review of it last year I think. Once you become proficient you could even change the 40 LA up front for a 60 two stroke or equivalent four stroker and have a real blast.

Mike