BMFA and CAA renewals

Steve Gilbey

Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 03/02/2021 06:54:15:

Hundreds of of billions of permutations, inspectors working 24/7/365 (also bear in mind only the police and customs can seize stuff), registration take up of about 10% of 'eligible' drones sold, and when I renewed mine direct rather than via the BMFA I got my old number starting with 'OP' not the 19 digit one starting with 'GBR'.

I agree the new format is overly complex, but the reason you got your old number back this time is completely explainable.

When the OP ID requirement came in last year there was no EU wide std format agreed (a strange omission at that stage, but there you go). Since then that has been remedied. The cutover date for implementation of the new numbering was Jan 1 2021, so if your renewal was due earlier (which yours must have been) you got your old number back for one more year. Anyone renewing after Jan 1 (which includes you when you renew for 2022) will get a new format "GBR" number which will remain with you into the future.

It is annoying to have to renumber our planes I agree, but you should not have to do it again. Having an EU wide standard is in our interests on this occasion as it will mean you don't have to re-register locally if flying in another EU country as a guest.

Edited By MattyB on 03/02/2021 10:34:27

Advert

Posted by Andrew Calcutt on 02/02/2021 20:46:12:

Did any one have the registration number checked? has anyone turned up at your field and checked your aircraft? Do these officials work weekends? what is it all about?

The authorities are not expending resources going out actively seeking to check compliance. Registration seen as a key prerequisite to being able to integrate BVLOS commercial use below 1000 feet, but it also there to make enforcement easy if they happen upon someone acting irresponsibly at a public site. Got an Op ID? Proof of competence? If not it's a straight on the spot fine with no need for your average Police Officer to understand every nuance of the (ridiculously complex) legislation such as CAP722.

Operating at a club on a private site? There is zero change of enforcement in that instance IMO. They are not interested in trying to trip up responsible model flyers on technicalities, it's those who are clueless of the legal requirements or simply don't care that they want to be able to enforce against quickly and simply.

Edited By MattyB on 03/02/2021 10:38:01

• Like 2

Posted by MattyB on 03/02/2021 10:22:57:
Posted by Roger Jones 3 on 03/02/2021 06:54:15:

Hundreds of of billions of permutations, inspectors working 24/7/365 (also bear in mind only the police and customs can seize stuff), registration take up of about 10% of 'eligible' drones sold, and when I renewed mine direct rather than via the BMFA I got my old number starting with 'OP' not the 19 digit one starting with 'GBR'.

I agree the new format is overly complex, but the reason you got your old number back this time is completely explainable.

When the OP ID requirement came in last year there was no EU wide std format agreed (a strange omission at that stage, but there you go). Since then that has been remedied. The cutover date for implementation of the new numbering was Jan 1 2021, so if your renewal was due earlier (which yours must have been) you got your old number back for one more year. Anyone renewing after Jan 1 (which includes you when you renew for 2022) will get a new format "GBR" number which will remain with you into the future.

It is annoying to have to renumber our planes I agree, but you should not have to do it again. Having an EU wide standard is in our interests on this occasion as it will mean you don't have to re-register locally if flying in another EU country as a guest.

Edited By MattyB on 03/02/2021 10:34:27

That all 'makes sense' (as does your post below it) if you accept that any of it makes any sort of sense at all. I don't care about 'abroad' as my wife and I avoid it. Ferries, airports and officials are more hassle that abroad is worth.

Edited By Roger Jones 3 on 03/02/2021 13:30:07

• 2 weeks later...