JR dsx9 cleaning ail-ele. potentiometers?

Advert

@douglas brittain. A couple of things to check before you make the assumption that it's the potentiometers.

1. Have a look at the channel monitor on your transmitter. If you see the jerky response on the monitor, you can be pretty sure that it is the pots. If it looks smooth on there, the problem could be elsewhere.

2. Check the frame rate that you are using to bind the receiver. Some (non-digital) servos don't like 11ms frame rate but the receiver might automatically default to this when binding. You may need to set the frame rate manually to 22ms on your transmitter.

What Gary says but if it does prove to be the pots at fault then replacement or cleaning will be needed.

I don't know either the value or the type of pot used in JR transmitters but they're probably carbon track.  In another life I used to clean noisy volume controls by taking them apart.  As they were fitted to radios or TVs they weren't as critical as those on a transmitter.  The usual source of the noise isn't contact with the carbon track but the wiper in the centre and I used to smear them with Vaseline and wipe the carbon track clean with a rag - thus treated they outlasted new replacements.  An easier solution is to squirt Electrolube down the spindle if it's still available.  That's what I'd try in your case.  However, I think replacement will work better in the long run. 

Hi Douglas,

If carrying out the above checks does prove that the fault is the potentiometers themselves, either Electrolube as Geoff S. suggests or Servisol will clean them out.

Most pots have a small cut-out in the metal case on the opposite side to the three terminals. A small squirt in here followed by waggling the sticks should sort the issue out.

It also works if the pots have got stiff - I have a few old Futaba Field Force 7s on which, especially in the winter, the sticks will stiffen up and be slow to return to the centre. Servisol cured that.

You only need a tiny amount, don't drench the thing, and avoid getting too much where it isn't needed.

Servisol can be bought from electronics suppliers, eBay etc. One aerosol will last for years. It comes with a little tube for precise application.

Brian.