Decisions!?

tizdaz

Hi guys,

Yup...this is another "which is best" threads! .. I have had a look through a lot of threads here, but I'm still on the fence to be honest.

I need a 8 channel minimum TX for my Hanger 9 20cc Mustang. Manual/Instructions state that I need a 6+ channel, so ideally  I would like an 8 channel radio minimum. People have suggested for this model 8-9chan radio.

Over the years I've always had Sanwa, Gemini or Futaba, never had any issues with any of them. But now i need a new TX there are a lot more options (especially among the "cheaper" ones. When I say cheaper btw I don't mean cheaper as in poor quality, just cheaper compared to the likes of the big boys (Spektrum/Futaba etc!).

So the ones I've narrowed it down to within my budget are these:

Radiomaster TX16: I've read lots of good reviews for this radio which seems the best bang for the buck! But the only thing that puts me off a little is this "Open TX" which is the software it uses, and also being honest.. Is I have never heard of this brand personally, so I'm not feeling the "reliability/quality" thing with it!? I believe the software it uses it can take quite some getting used to, and as I'm new to RC Planes in general, I would rather be spending my time learning to fly my RC plane than messing with the software on the TX.

FrSky: Again read nothing really but good reviews, but I believe it partially uses this Open TX? Although it does have its own software version too? But again, moving away from the "Big Brands" is FrSky up there with them in terms of reliability? If so what is a good model to choose from as there seems to be a lot to choose from!?

Graupner MZ-12 PRO TRANSMITTER HOTT : This is the one I decided to go for originally.....except its almost impossible to buy in the UK & even imported unless I'm willing to pay over £100 shipping...no thanks!!!

Futaba T6K or the T12k, The T6K now supports 8 channels but only comes with the 6 channel receiver, so would need to purchase the 8+ chan receiver separately, or I could buy the  T12k for around £100 extra, but this will come with an 8 channel receiver & updated features etc. So I'm not quite sure which one is best for me!?

Or what other Radios along with compatible receiver would be a good choice for me, like I say something that isn't too complex to setup & is proven & tested in terms of quality/reliability! ..I haven't mentioned Spektrum as it is out of my budget & to be honest, i do prefer Futaba over Spektrum ? My budget really is around £200-250 give or take a few!

Thanks in advance guys!

Haha. You'll certainly start a debate!

Yes, I'd agree that aiming for more than 6 channels makes sense. 

Being able to visit a club, and a shop, makes things much easier than a few weeks ago. You will be able to see what makes are in use, and MAY be able to hold them in shops.

I'm not going to state which is best but just add some pointers.

My club (not a large one!) has, I believe, just one Futaba user (swears it's the best of course). Very expensive set that has no more functionality that, say, the Radiomaster you mentioned. It feels slightly better than my Taranis (FrSky) and the Radiomaster but I personally would not feel the extra spend justified. Additional Futaba equipment, e.g. receivers, seems expensive too.

We have a large proportion of Spektrum users. Some of these sets are now expensive too. Same comments as for Futaba above, and Spektrum prices seem to increase rapidly.  

Next most common are FrSky sets - we have a few Taranis X9D's and a few of the newer sets.  These can do at least as much as the more expensive radios above due to OpenTx. OpenTx can be as complex or as simple as you like - it does take some getting used to, but don't let that put you off.  Various radios have different flavours of OpenTx, based around OpenTx itself - some with built in functions, some with different menu structures etc.. 

As far as I know, we have one Radiomaster, one Jumper and one FlySky. All seem to work OK and I have seen no issues.  

Nobody has ever said "Your radio is so much better than mine" and I have only seen one radio failure and one radio issue - both Spektrum but that is too small a sample!

I have never had a Graupner radio, or seen one in the flesh.

Having a set/system that other club members have can be useful as they can help you with any setup challenges.  

By the end of today, you'll have received many differing views I'm afraid. Visiting a local club should really help you decide.

GG

P.S. none of our club members use any of the 'game controller' style sets...

Edited by GrumpyGnome

A brand which is not so common is RadioLink.

I have recently Bought an AT10 and an AT10II. I usually use Multiplex, which I love, but the rx's can be a bit pricey to put into something like a Lidl conversion.

The RadioLink has all the mixes I need, including full house electric gliders. It is very easy to programme with plenty of aircraft types installed and the pages are set out simply. I too prefer to spend my time flying my models rather than programming them.

RadioLink has its own protocol so only RadioLink receivers can be used with it but they're inexpensive.

The AT10II is used for a Durafly Tundra. Motor, separate flaps, separate ailerons, rudder and elevator i.e 7 channels with mixes for throthle/elevator and elevator flap. The ailerons and Flaps can be on 'Y' lead of course using only 5 channels.

Not saying it's the best but it's certainly good value for money and I'm very happy with it.

I will give my opinion on this, but before I do can we address the elephant in the room? 

5 hours ago, tizdaz said:

...I need a 8 channel minimum TX for my Hanger 9 20cc Mustang. Manual/Instructions state that I need a 6+ channel, so ideally  I would like an 8 channel radio minimum. People have suggested for this model 8-9chan radio.

...and as I'm new to RC Planes in general, I would rather be spending my time learning to fly my RC plane than messing with the software on the TX.

If you are new to RC (or even just new to fixed wing power) a 20CC Mustang is not what you learn on! There are lots of good beginner choices out there now in both electric an RC, but a complex model like that with quite demanding flight characteristics is going to be well beyond your skill level; it’s more a 4th or 5th model tbh.

Back to the radio choice, I would say that if you want bang for the buck you are still best to go for an OpenTX radio. There may be a steeper learning curve with it initially, but there is loads of help and support out there to help with that (including this forum), and basic models are actually very simple to setup despite what naysayers will tell you about “complex programming” - it’s only complex if you choose to make it so. In terms of radio I would say may be look at the Frsky X10 Horus in it’s latest format with the ACCESS protocol - it is more expensive than their basic radios, but if you don’t get on with OpenTX you will be able to move across to Frskys new (proprietary) ETHOS operating system without changing radio which none of the other options can (or are likely) to do.

Failing that just buy the Radiomaster TX16SE (cheapest variant, ~£70) or 16S with the 4 in 1 module and see how you get in with it in some simple models - if you like it you can upgrade the gimbals and switches later, if you don’t your lost investment will be minimal (you could probably sell it on with a couple of RXs for £40-50). Just don’t start with that Mustang whatever radio you choose!

Edited by MattyB

My 2p

Don't get your "forever" radio right now - get something "good enough" for your trainer and second model

My club is almost entirely Spektrum or Frsky; so I went with the entry level Spektrum to start with... my second choice would have been something like Radiomaster. Of course I upgraded after several years and several models and went for a fancier Spektrum unit.

I would ask around at the club you join to see what is common - if you need help then yes forums like this are great but sometimes it is just simpler to ask the guy standing next to you.

I hope that Mustang came with a gyro, because as a choice of first model to train on (is that the implication from the OP?) it is... interesting!

Personally I would suggest something like the RTF Gamma pro to learn on. It takes a bit of a knock, it's easy to fly, the 8ch Radiomaster radio it comes with is vastly better than the plane needs and will sort you out for the next two or three models as well as remain as a handy second tx if you need it.

https://www.addlestone-models.co.uk/acatalog/ARES-GAMMA-370-PRO-4ch-BRUSHLESS-V2-RTF-TRAINER-AZSA1650-AZSA1650.html#SID=104

Lots of options and advice! All taken on board ?

Yup I made another post regarding a trainer model, I knew when I bought the Mustang it would be a good while before I fly it, so don't worry, it certainly will not be my trainer plane ? I shall have a browse later at radios mentioned and no doubt be back with more questions! Cheers guys ?