Merco Silencer

Rodney Vass

Hi,   I'am having a problem finding a suitable silencer for a Merco 61, single plug not sure what mark.

The silencer at the moment is the dustbin one, it fits fine but is a bit loud and leaks from every

joint making for a very oily model.

I believe P&R made a suitable silencer some time ago but these appear to be unoptainable at

the present.

Any thoughts.

Advert

25 minutes ago, Rodney Vass said:

Hi,   I'am having a problem finding a suitable silencer for a Merco 61, single plug not sure what mark.

The silencer at the moment is the dustbin one, it fits fine but is a bit loud and leaks from every

joint making for a very oily model.

I believe P&R made a suitable silencer some time ago but these appear to be unoptainable at

the present.

Any thoughts.

What's the hole centers on silencer Rodney ?

35 minutes ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

What's the hole centers on silencer Rodney ?

You probably already know this John but Mercos had threaded holes either side of the exhaust port. The retaining bolts passed through lugs in the silencer and screwed into the treaded holes.

If I were Rodney, I'd be looking for a strap-on silencer first. Just Engines offer one for 29-40 engines. https://www.justengines.co.uk/product-category/exhaust-systems/two-stroke-exhausts/standard-mufflers/universal/?v=11aedd0e4327.

Weston UK may be prepared to make up a Mini Pipe with a Terry Clip. I have one on a little SC 32. It's very efficient. https://www.westonuk.co.uk/Mini-Pipes/

18 hours ago, john stones 1 Moderator said:

Yep. I have a few oddments David, wondered it one would fit.

I willt have a look through my souvenirs too John. I keep all of my engines in a cupboard but because the two-stroke exhausts are so bulky, they are kept seperately in a cardboard box. I certainly used to have a couple of P&Rs and at least one of them was fitted to a Merco 61. When stuffed with loft insulation they were acceptably quiet.

Super 60 Merco 35 up.JPG

• Like 1

Gents,

Many thanks for your thoughts reguarding my Merco Silencer enquiry.

After giving it more thought I have decided to replace the engine with a more exhaust

friendly one.

I do appreciate your time and thoughts and will look into your suggestions.

Aiso living very close to the Shuttleworth Collection may be I find a suitable

exhaust at one of their model days.

• Like 1