Where to fly "Apps" confusion.

A couple of years ago, I used the app "Drone AssistUK"  to find a safe and legal place to fly my small model plane whilst giving a few lessons to my son during my visit to him in Argyll.  It allowed us to find a suitable place outside of the prohibited zone surrounding an airport.    

Recently, I wanted to check on an area that my local model flying club is about to use as a regular flying site.    I understand from the club committee that the area is in class "G" airspace and so is good for us to use.    To my surprise, when the Drone Assist app was consulted, it shows a huge area of pink/red that it seems to list as "Regulated airspace" with a recommendation that drones are not operated within.    (See attached screenshot).      There are many model flying club sites within this area.  Are they operating against the recommendation of NATS?  

But all may not be as it seems.  The website " dronesafe.uk"     shows what appears to be a simpler map which shows areas in which model flying is prohibited.  Quite sensibly, and as expected it shows airports and airfields.   The map page includes a simple and stark warning  "It is illegal to fly any drone at any time within these airspace restrictions, unless you have permission from the aerodrome, air traffic control unit or whichever agency is responsible for issuing permission. More details can be found by clicking each restriction."  

This appears to be fairly straightforward,  but...  look at the area of the coast of Yorkshire which appears in red  (amongst others).    This is not shown on the Drone Assist app. 

It may be that my quadcopter flight on the Yorkshire coast was illegal, unless I claim that I used the Drone Assist map... but then ignorance is no defence.      

I've tried to understand this, but am failing miserably.... can anyone explain how to interpret these maps/instructions?           

Appmap1a.thumb.jpg.e1cbfb33633031f4d9b5cf88f7970330.jpg

Dronesafe1.jpg

NATSMAP.jpg

Edited by David Hall 9

Advert

8 minutes ago, Denis Watkins said:

The large area off the Yorkshire coast is very often used for the latest advanced jet training

And air to air refuelling.

Yes, I get that there will be many military activites in the greater area, but is it permanently illegal to fly models there without permission? Why would that be shown as a prohibited area on that app and yet not on the Drone assist app (to name one, there may be others)?   

30 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

I suspect that Drone Assist is not showing them because they don't go down to the surface.

That seems to be the case,   clicking on the area shows upper and lower limits as FL660 and FL150, so above 15000ft and below 66000ft.     

This app may not be intended purely for "our" UAVs.   

The area shown in pink in the opening post is the Manchester Control Zone which is Class D airspace and extends from the surface to 3500ft, shown on the map below as 'MANCHESTER CTR D SFC-3500' there is Class A airspace above it (shown on the map as 'MANCHESTER TMA A 3500+). The map is the current CAA 1:250,000 Air Chart.

You can fly models of up to 7kg mass in Class D airspace (outside of the aerodrome Flight Restricted Zone of course) without specific permission.

24B8ADC4-CC23-4ABE-A3E5-572362C1379C_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.2b8209e85aaa69d6149937d1d57049c3.jpeg

Thanks for the info, John Lee.        I wonder why it is shown as "flying drones here is not recommended"?    Perhaps it's overly cautious.    

One statement from the app says.... "this piece of airspace is in effect between Surface and 3500ft MSL"  so, I'm guessing that the restrictions mentioned in the app do not apply to heights over 3500ft which must be prohibited to any non-controlled traffic?