Alkaline charging

Advert

Hi Jack

Dry cells or rechargeables?

Dry cells have a higher internal resistance than rechargeables. This means that when under load the voltage supplied is more or less the same. Only in a very low current application might the 1.2 volts of a rechargeablel have any impact.

A conventional dry cell of any type is really only a one way chemical process. Any recharging capability is strictly limited and will soon damage the cell.

Rayovac did produce some proper "rechargeable" alkaline 1.5 volt cells but as Owen said they had a rather limited life both in terms of the number of recharges and how long they actually lasted. I dont think they are still available.

So simply replace your alkaline battery with a good NiMH one and recharge as required.

Jack

I think you might be concerned about a problem that is not really there.

I use rechargeables in all my 1.5 volt applications (including my cheap TX, 8 cell, 10.6v instead of 12) and have no trouble at all. It has a "low voltage" warning LED and that only comes on whenl the rechargeables are virtually exhausted.

Most rechargeables show more than 1.2v when fully charged so increasing the cell count might do some damage.

Yep!  But I just bend the terminals out slightly.  In all honesty you can pick up a pack of rechargables cheaper than a pack of good brand Alkaline these days.  A pack of 4 will normally charge to between 5.6 and 6 volts. I wouldn't personally add another battery to boost the voltage as already mentioned.  The only time Iv'e added a extra cell ie on a receiver pack - is on big aircraft using a high number of digital servo's. Providing the receiver and servo's can accept the higher voltage.  Example - I have a 5 cell 2500 MaH flight pack to run 7 digital servo's and a standard 4 pack to operate the undercarriage running on Spektrum gear in my Kyosho Spitfire.

Al

Not quite sure I follow that Jack? The silverlit toys are all, as far as I know, powered by a single Lipo. These are charged from the Tx which normally uses 4 AA dry cells. The system obviously has a charging circuit and the voltage will be regulated to suit a single Lipo ( 4.2V - probably less as they charge up in way less than an hour )

Using rechargeables in the Tx with a consequent lower voltage should not affect the recharging of the toy.

I agree with Timbo

I use rechargable batteries in all my Transmitters. Ie: including the silverlite TX's and park flyer TX's . I cant see what you are worrying about Jack.  If you use high capacity rechargables in silverlite TX's they will probably last just as long on one full charge as the alkalines.  They work perfectly even with a lower voltage and do not affect the range and I have never had any problems. Plus with the silverlite models range is not an issue as they fly so close. Plus Plus they are a darn sight cheaper to run than on alkalines.