Old girl

/sites/3/images/member_albums/28580/Photo-0491_e1.jpg

Hi all

i have been give this old plane ,and was wondering would it be difficult to covert it to 3 channel electric flight .its bare no servo tray and the rudder and elevator is one unit held on by rubber .but other for a couple of holes it seems in good condition .any help would be grateful

Advert

Looking at it I would say almost certainly yes. There are motors/batteries out there that will lift just about anything but yes, it would be nice to know the weight, wing area etc. As it has wheels, presumably it used also to have an engine of some sort and, if it had a petrol or diesel engine, then there is certainly an electric set-up that will do the job.

Or it could have used a power pod attached to the missing hatch.

It looks a bit like a Veron Impala with an extended nose.

A slightly better / bigger picture may help especially of the nose section from the wing forwards.

I would agree with Michael, there will be a motor / battery / prop combination which will suit this machine fine. I would start looking at a 3S 2100mAH lipo, a 10" folding prop and a brushless motor in the 28mm outside diameter range with a kv around 900 just to give you a vague idea.

More details would of course help.

Well if it has no elevator or rudder, and I can see no signs of ailerons....one has to wonder how it ever flew!

If it was me, I would add rudder and elevator, fix the tailplane permanently, and then weigh the result. Add approx 50% to allow for a leccy tractor setup, receiver and 2 servos, and whatever the total comes out at calculate the powertrain at approx 100 watts per pound of AUW. So assuming AUW of approx 1.5lbs ( which seems pretty light to me ? ) you need a setup capable of 150 -200watts.

Plenty to choose from in the likes of BRC and other online shops....and at pocket money prices too.

Ah - old age can help there Timbo. The very early elastic powered planes I built, circa 1940/50's didn't have any control surfaces. Just wind then up, point them into the wind and let go! Hopefully they flew reasonably straight and didn't come down too hard! One of the biggest danders was over winding the elastic! Then the tail tended to come up and meet the nose with a loud "snap" and the fusalage was reduced to a load of broken balsa and tissue paper!

Not far off Phil! A brief history copied from their website:- 

In 1968 the Manufacture of SOLARFILM iron-on film started in Chorley, England with just six basic colours.

1973 Solarfilm manufacture moved to a larger factory in Blackpool, England. By then the colour range included transparent and metalic colours.

1979 Solarfilm moved back to Chorley into a larger purpose-built factory, doubling the floor area again.

1982 SOLARTEX, the iron-on fabric was developed and put into production

yet again thanks all ,had a closer look and you can see where a servo was ,also 2 inchs of the nose is new balsa wood then the rest and you i think i can make out a fire wall . the under carriage is nearly as heavy as the plane its self .

im going to fix the tail plane and put on a rubber and elvator and replace the servo tray for starts