Glow Plugs

Tony H

Hi All,

The price of glow plugs has gone right up, so now I am asking the question.....what is the difference in the brand's? Is there a noticeable difference in performance and life using the cheaper brands? Like Hobbyking, HSP, Modeltechnics FirePower/MaxFlash? Or is it better to pay the extra (nearly twice the price) for OS No.8 OS F and Enya plugs?

Also do most people use medium-medium hot plugs all year round in the UK?

Advert

Enya, OS and Modeltechnics. All work and last well.  Came across something I had not seen before the other day.

A Modeltechnics 3D and inverted flying 2 stroke plug. Thought I may try it in my old Limbo Dancer although its OS 46 and mini pipe run very well on its No.8. Any one tried them?

When it comes to seasons I never change anything although I have an Enya 40 that was in the Limbo that did not like the cold, a scarf [ piece of rag around the base of the cylinder ] kept it happy.:classic_biggrin:

I've not tried the 3d plug.

I do have MaxFlash plugs on the 40FPs in my twin. I can't tell the difference between them and the Firepower plugs I have used elsewhere, although MT suggest they produce better throttle response at expense of being less tough.

Tony, is the Irvine quite new? An engine going through the running in process can easily kill a plug... best to use an old one for the first few tanks.

4 hours ago, Nigel R said:

I've not tried the 3d plug.

I do have MaxFlash plugs on the 40FPs in my twin. I can't tell the difference between them and the Firepower plugs I have used elsewhere, although MT suggest they produce better throttle response at expense of being less tough.

Tony, is the Irvine quite new? An engine going through the running in process can easily kill a plug... best to use an old one for the first few tanks.

Yes the Irvine is brand new, so it has only had 10 fuel tanks worth through it so far. Should I richen it up a bit to cool the engine....might stop them dying.

There is a very good chance that your engine will have had a tiny bit of swarf [just about invisible ] left in it after assembly. When run it can lodge in the plug and destroy it. Check the failed plug to see if coil is still there. If not more bits of coil left in engine can destroy the next plug. 

It could be you just had a duff plug. Either way give the motor a good wash out with some fuel before running again

Flight panel gauge's are not very accurate, mine has to be in the red for the plug to glow dull orange.

17 hours ago, J D 8 said:

There is a very good chance that your engine will have had a tiny bit of swarf [just about invisible ] left in it after assembly. When run it can lodge in the plug and destroy it. Check the failed plug to see if coil is still there. If not more bits of coil left in engine can destroy the next plug. 

It could be you just had a duff plug. Either way give the motor a good wash out with some fuel before running again

Flight panel gauge's are not very accurate, mine has to be in the red for the plug to glow dull orange.

The element look intact it just won't glow at all, probably burnt out deeper inside the plug.

18 hours ago, Tony H said:

Yes the Irvine is brand new, so it has only had 10 fuel tanks worth through it so far. Should I richen it up a bit to cool the engine....might stop them dying.

I'd think you're past the point where most of the changes to the piston/liner have happened. Any material that was going to rub off is probably gone, and you'll be in the final stages of work hardening. I think.

Engine experts can confirm how long it takes for a proper ABC run in.

Plug damage happens when material is still coming off the piston/liner.