Ancient History anyone?

Jon H

In the past week or so i have had the fall of civilisations youtube videos on in the background while working. 

They are historical documentaries looking at an ancient civilisation, its rise, and ultimate fall. I have found them utterly fascinating and quite worrying at times as it seems we have not learnt much over the years and there are many issues still relevant today. They have a style and analysis to them which makes them far more insightful than the usual hyped up docudrama we get on tv these days and frankly, it makes them more impactful. They also dispel some lazy history/commonly held misconceptions and really show how we often dont learn from the past. 

There are pure audio versions and versions with video's. I would go for the video version as they show some of the ruins/artefacts being talked about and some are very impressive indeed. 

I am up to no8 at the moment and they have all been very good but 2, 3, 5, 6 and 8 have stood out. 

They are very long, some over 4 hours, but well worth it if you fancy buffing up on your ancient history and learning little things about how something we take for granted (like having 60 minutes in an hour or 360 degrees in a circle) has its roots in a civilisation from over 6000 years ago. 

Well worth a watch if history is your thing

Edited by Jon - Laser Engines
  • Like 3

Advert

I have always been interested in history and especially the engineering skills of these ancient civilisations. Many of the people covered by this series have been unknown to me and what the achieved was astonishing. 

I found the last episode on the Assyrians by accident, it was superb, so i went back and started at the beginning. 

• Like 1