36" all sheet balsa, finishing before paint?

Finishing up a couple of projects, one is an all balsa sheeted 36" model, i don`t want to cover it in film, i was thinking of using Polyspan then a couple of coats of thinned dope before air brushing the matt paint on but the designer Chris Golds used 5 coats of dope/thinners 50/50 straight on to the wood sanded in between as a base for the paint. Anyone on here finish their model like that, if so did it make a nice smooth base for the paint?

Advert

I use non shrinking clear dope 50:50 with thinners straight onto the wood. I apply / rub down between coats until the wood grain is no longer 'raised' after a coat. I think ~3 coats covered this model. Maybe I brush it on rather liberally.

spacer.png

The two black bands at the wing centre are a couple of strips of covering film I put on to hide a 'ding' on the leading edge. The other black areas are paint. I have only ever painted orientation / identification marks, not large areas of colour. The finish has proved durable and the dope repels the amount of water on damp grass. Having only used gloss paint I can't say how matt looks on top of dope.