HET Typhoon 2W-20 or Tornado 2W-20

Tom Foreman

Just recieved what I thought was an HET 2W-20 as advertised on the suppliers website, but when I opened my parcel I found a Tornado 2W-20. Oh know I thought, I've recieved the wrong motor. On the side of the box it says, "Read Instructions Before Use" but alas there are no instructions in the box.

My first HET 2W-20, came in a genuine HET box with a nice instruction sheet and specs, this Overlander imposter does not.

Hmm I checked the website to see if I had ordered the wrong thing, but it says quite clearly that it is an HET 2W-20, darn even the receipt says HET 2W-20. Then I notice that the quoted weight is 78g, thats a bit worrying, the true HET 2W-20 weighs 93g. If its not the proper thing I need to send it back otherwise it will burn up at the power settings I intend to use it. Phew, on the scales it weighs the required 93g. But why is it falsly advertised?

I decide to phone the supplier to hear his side of the story. He eventually comes on the phone and sounds a bit defensive, telling me that Overlander is the HET importer and that he orders the same part no. (HET 2W-20 I presume) and thats what he gets sent. He then told me they are all made in the same factory and are badged up differently but are identical. I try to calm him down and re-assure him that I was just concerned I had the wrong product and didn't want it to go up in a puff of smoke. If he said it was the same then that was good enough for me!

After I put the phone down it got me thinking, whether it was the same or not wasn't really the point, the fact that it is advertised as an HET (it even shows a photo of HET) but it is sold as a Tornado doesn't seem right to me. What do you think?

Anyway I will give the supplier the benefit of the doubt and hope that this motor performs as the specs for the HET, still they could at least send me the Tornado specs so I could compare!

Tom 

Advert

I would have thought  it was misleading advertising and possible breach of the "sale of goods " act or something along these lines, are  Tornado motors cheaper?. but then if they had run out off the Het motors and sent you the Tornado as a replacement and you accept it it lets them off the hook so to speak.

J

Well I know what I would do! I am no fan of anything branded Tornado I am afraid...other than a military jet. I think you have every right to return it.

Overlander do not have exclusive import rights to High End Technology products...for starters the Electric aeroplane company of Cheshire ( modelhaus ) distribute them, as do E-flight amongst many others.

Hi Rambling Sid, I have accepted it because I already have a genuine HET and it looks identical. I know I should send it back but I can't be bothered, it fits nicely in the HET fan.

Timbo, my genuine HET came from Modelhause, and I would have bought from Stephen if he had had an HET fan in stock, but he didn't (well not on his website) so I went else where. With regards to E-flight, they did the same thing to me when I was young and naive (well back in March this year ) and supplied a Tornado BM400 instead of the advertised HET 2W (lower power and lighter than the 2W-20).

Somthing fishy going on? I wonder what HET think?

Tom

I've also ordered a 2W-20 recently (about 2 months ago), but mine came from E-Flight.  I have to report the same results as you though - branded Tornado and with no instructions in the box.  I assume that Overlander act as distributor and sell them on to other shops such as E-flight.co.uk.

I'm very laid back about this however as I'm certain the motor is from the same source as a HET motor - it's identical and installed it draws the same current I predicted using the figures for the HET motor.  I would be willing to bet that Overlander have simply imported direct from the same supplier HET use - cutting out the middleman and earning themselves more margin.  Not the crime of the century and I'm unsure why people are advising you to send it back.  It's a great motor!

So true Peevie, but why not advertise it as a Tornado instead of HET. Is it because the HET brand name is synonymous with EDF with their numerous kits? Or have they divided up the different markets around the world to keep the prices high?Or maybe I'm just conspiricising too much

E-flight don't seem to stock much else other than Tornado kit and as they are in Preston they are only a stones throw from Overlander in Forton, strange or what!