Field battery

Diamond Geezer

Advert

If you're talking about a 12V sealed gel battery, then the safest way to charge it will be use your regular 4 button charger on Pb mode with a max charge rate of 0.1XC which for a 7Ah battery will be 700mA. The cheapo wallwart chargers that are often sold to charge these batteries will do them no good at all. Personally I wouldn't be going down the route of fast charging sealed gel batteries if that is what you have - they have specific needs for charging depending on how the battery is to be used and will not tolerate misuse, possibly resulting in over pressure and case rupture in extreme cases.

Edited by Cuban8
  • Like 1

As C8 says.

Check the side of the battery, it may give the max cell voltage to set your charger to. Around 2.3V is the safe figure if memory serves.

I'd not use a 12V these days though, lipos are a better mousetrap for our needs, I think.

Edited by Nigel R

Any 3 cell lipo of sufficient capacity should do it - anything above an 1800mah should be fine I would think, it's not like you use your starter for long periods. This is a good "second life" use for packs that may be past their best and you would no longer fly in an electric model.

• Like 1

Yes agree, a lipo may well be a better solution these days - I'll go that route when my existing Gel battery finally packs up. A lot lighter for the field box as well. A couple of my flying buddies have Align lipo starters, not cheap at around the £100 mark but when I borrowed one after my field box battery when flat (!) the performance was astonishing and my 120 fourstroke burst into life with the merest touch of the starter. Easily twice as effective as my ages old starter.

8 hours ago, Cuban8 said:

Align lipo starters

I think I paid £20 for my second hand bottom-of-the-range sullivan starter. With a sad old 3s 2200 stuck to it, it will happily spin a 15cc motor. I tried it once with a 4S lipo (the 3s was flat) and it was almost frightening - way too much torque for any motor I have. It would certainly start much, much bigger motors with that attached.