Godrevy to St Agnes Cornwall model flying restrictions

Hi

I am finding this all very confusing. I met a group of paragliders today at St Agnes head who told me that glider planes where not allowed from AMrch to September but paragliding was allowed. They then proceeded to launch and fly from the parking lot site called the Hump.

I have researched online and I have not found a single notice regarding gliding remote planes or paragliding at St Agnes. Can anyone point me to the official notice for St Agnes? Maybe they should put a sign up on parking lot to make it more clear for flying enthusiasts?

Thanks

Pedro

Advert

Posted (edited)

Bye laws ?

Local council offices, enterwrb, public library ?

Is it national trust site ?

Maybe RC gliders in winter, manned ( or womanned) flight in summer...

Bmfa would have details I would of thought, or paragliders national body/clubs ?

Hate to say this but para porkies??

I don't think for one minute it's pars porkies, buy you never know......very naughty if it is....

Edited by Rich Griff

St Agnes Head is a National Trust site, but I understand that model flying there was banned in 2022 following a recommendation from Natural England regarding ground nesting birds.  Initially the ban was total; however, following a campaign by local flyers, it was relaxed slightly and slope soaring is now permitted from 1st October to 28th February.

There are indeed fewer restrictions on paragliders.   I understand that the NT's and Natural England's reasoning was that a number of model flyers were 'ignoring' the restrictions, and were thus deemed somehow less responsible than paragliders.   Of course, St Agnes Head has been used by model flyers from around the country for some 40 years, so it's likely that the so-called 'rogue' model flyers were simply not aware of the (then) new restrictions.  As far as I know, there are no information signs at the site.

I understand that it's OK to fly at Cligga Head, which is about 2 miles NW of St Agnes Head.

20 hours ago, Pedro said:

Hi

I am finding this all very confusing. I met a group of paragliders today at St Agnes head who told me that glider planes where not allowed from AMrch to September but paragliding was allowed. They then proceeded to launch and fly from the parking lot site called the Hump.

I have researched online and I have not found a single notice regarding gliding remote planes or paragliding at St Agnes. Can anyone point me to the official notice for St Agnes? Maybe they should put a sign up on parking lot to make it more clear for flying enthusiasts?

Thanks

Pedro

Take a look at https://southwest.bmfa.uk/south-west-glider-news/