Please help

Simon Jackson 2

Hi there, I'm not exactly sure if i've come to right place but after coming across this forum I thought I'd give it a shot. Basically I'm looking to buy my dad an r/c plane for his birthday. He's has no flying/building experience but I think he would get a lot of joy from both. I think i'm looking for some kind of electric trainer that isn't too big (preferably around 40" wingspan or less) that is easy for a beginner to learn to fly with. My budget is around £70 give or take so I'm wondering if someone could kindly recommend a model. The main problem I've come across (as a newby myself) is that most beginner planes are quite simple and generally ready to fly from the box and I was hoping to find something that my dad could put together himself but then find easy to fly (he's an electrician so he enjoys tinkering with things and would probably not find it too difficult). On the flip side, I've noticed that building from scratch requires lots of seperate parts, and I wouldn't haven't a clue what to buy to get a full kit. Sorry if i'm being too specific here but I thought I'd give as much detail as possible as to get the best recommendation. Also any websites or recommended online shops etc that you could point out would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help.

Simon

Advert

Hi Simon,
Im sure we can help you on here. First off a couple of questions that others will ask you - are you looking to buy a kit which has everything in it? or are you going to buy the transmitter and electricals seperate? I ask because it will alter what may be available to you.
If you are after a kit with everything in it - you will not get as big a choice. but if funds would be available - from your dad after receiving the kit from you - then there are a lot more options open and we have some folk on here that will be able to sort you out with something approprite for his needs.
Just to remind you though - you will be looking for a high wing trainer to start with - and Im sure you will get some recomendations shortly. Good hunting.
Antony

These guys do some nice kits that are about the size you're after and not too difficult to make or fly (I think they're still trading!);

www.directmodelproducts.com

The skybug is a good training plane that flies well on a speed 400 brushed motor, and at about £26 for a kit you would have enough change from £70 to get some radio gear and a motor setup.

Robotbirds do a complete 4 channel setup (with brushed speed controller!) for £50.

Sheesh - if radio gear had been this cheap when I was setting out....

Alistair

Thx for the replies. Since I know very little about kits myself I would prefer to get one with everything in it but I quite like the idea of starting my dad off with an incomplete kit and letting him choose the rest of the parts himself. The only problem with this is, will he know exactly what he needs to complete the kit because I wouldn't? I'm quite tempted to go with something like a j-3 piper cub, its pretty much rtf so there's very little building involved which is unfortunate but i've seen a complete package for around my budget and the size and wings seem spot on - from here (http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Lee-RC-Models-Dot-Com), what do you think? I still don't know which way I'm gonna go with this yet - either try to get some kind of kit together for him to build or start of simple with something rtf and let my dad take it from there. Its a shame I don't know enough about kits and radio gear to know exactly what i'm doing otherwise i think i'd be interested in doing something like this myself.

Against my normal love of electric flight ( most of my fleet is now electric ) I actually believe you would be better of getting him an IC model. It will be cheaper ( unless you get pretty poor quality electric powertrain components ) it will allow him to fly in many more different weather conditions, and field strip conditions. Furthermore, he will get many more flights per session than with battery powered planes, unless again, he either has pots of money to buy lots of battery packs, or doesnt mind waiting around for hours while the single pack he has re-charges !
Something like the "arising star", or "Tutor" although classed as Almost Ready To Fly will still require a bit of work on his behalf to get it all fitted out and ready to go. Alternatively ( and my personal favourite proper full "KIT" )
A Chris Foss WOT4. Assuming he gets a proper instructor to teach him, AND HE WILL WONT HE ! then this can be a starter plane, and is quite capable of MUCH MUCH more later on. Dont let people tell you it is not a trainer - strictly speaking It isnt I know, but I have taught many people to fly on them, including my wife who is currently learning on one now. Might stretch your budget a little but not much,( around 80 quid I think ) and he will still have choice over what he covers it with, colour schemes, engine choices etc.
Finally, something often overlooked, proper kits such as this are easier to repair after the inevitable hardlanding /arrival :-) Good luck, and full marks to you for being such a generous and thoughtful son...he WILL appreciate it I know :-)
http://www.chrisfoss.co.uk/Wot-4.htm

http://www.sussex-model-centre.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=85

http://www.irvineltd.com/products/aircraft/IrvineTutor40.html

I would agree that an engine powered model is a good choice. I also believe that the modern "trainer" is too fast and not stable enough. I have found that a slow model which is very stable is the best. Ideally a vintage model converted to R/C, some of the Ben Buckle kits were ideal.
For a first model I like one that will fly itself out of trouble if you take your fingers off the sticks and which gives time to think "Oops, that was wrong" and then correct it.
I have proved this many times. people who just cannot master learning to fly have come to me and I gave them two long flights on a vintage model and they never looked back.
If you use a faster model the only way to go is with a buddy box lead.
One of the finest designs in the size you talk about is unfortunately only available as a plan, it is the Little Ship. a 44" span vintage R/C design for three channels.
If you go with the CC Lee Cub it should be pretty good. I played with one of the smaller ones recently and it worked well.
One other model which I can reccomend is the only ARTF that I have ever liked, it is the J.Perkins Easy Pigeon. You need to buy all the radio gear and the batteries but it does come with a motor and prop.

Hello Simon
I think model planes are a personal choice and your dad will like somthing different than you. Also, choosing should be fun and half the problem if shared with your dad.

I remember starting on a 0.15 IC powered glider, and have trained new members with electric gliders. But I recommended to join a club and IC powered models are not park flyers.
Also you will need insurance for IC engine models and I would recommend it for electric!

If you want to make a surprise of it, then get a "BladeRunner II" or a "Micro Mosquito" they fly in the house and cost £69.95. No insurance needed, no club needed, no building, and you can both take turns. Search and see the web videos.
That's father-son bonding.. :-)

You will realise that model flying is great fun. Get him membership at a club is the place to start.
Join the BMFA for insurance.
A good club will usually have a free trainer to learn with. ie someone will give you an old trainer they no longer want.
email me if you need more info..
Take Care
Andy

Hi Timbo
geoff here, yep I agree a wot 4 is a good plane to learn on I'm currently learning to fly on one now, just one problem maybe you can help, landing, I keep shearing the m5 nylon bolts and the model shops are running out!the model shop guy has fitted steel bolts to his, but some of my club mates have advised me against it,trouble is I'm losing valuable flying time due to having to spend time trying to get the bits out

I also would NOT advise metal bolts, as they will not shear, and probably rip out half the fuselage instead ! Is the wotty a tad on the heavy side ? this may be part of the problem. Also, is it the glass fibre undercarriage? I fitted the g.Fibre version to the wife's and it springs nicely when she arrives a little too heavy :-) Not broken one nylon bolt yet :-)
Ebay may be worth a try for the springy undercarriage leg assembly. Do NOT get carbon fibre as this would be as bad as the alloy one. HTH