Legitimate sport?

jack lackmaker

Advert

Darts is a game, like lawn green bowling.  Eric Bristow,  Jocky Wilson and co are not athletes, they are tossers, ie one who toss darts at a board.

Model building and flying is  a hobby, which entails objects that are often heavy flying through the air on what frequently turns out to be an unpredictable path.  Regretably I can understand councils not wanting this going on in uncontrolled environments.  

As for us being recognised as a sport, well maybe cross-country soarers or c/l combat flyers, but definitely not the average club flyer.

Ernie,  I'm not sure that I'd discount either cricket or motor racing as a sport.  When they used to show SuperSport I think it was on TV, car and bike racers always put on a good show, they need to be real athletes to stand the G forces for a couple of hours at a time.  Cricketers, well, they do go in for short spurts of intense activity.  On the way back to the pavillion in the case of English teams.

bob cotsford wrote (see)

As for us being recognised as a sport, well maybe cross-country soarers or c/l combat flyers, but definitely not the average club flyer.

I've already agreed with your first point Eric, but the second is a bit questionable.  On that basis running out of petrol at the bottom of a hill could lead to 'sport'

Model Flying is as much a Sport as a lot of other activities.

Most who play football never take part in league or whatever

Most who go Skiing never take part in competition

Most who go swimming never take part in competition

I can say the same about running and cycling

Therefore Model Flying has as much to commend it as a SPORT as most other active activities