Multiplex easy star

Phil 9

Advert

Sounds good cheers Eric.

What i shall have to do is write a check sheet and bring it with me so i am not tempted just to launch the thing lol.

What does "Sacrifice a toung maiden" mean. sorry forgive my ignorance.

I have secured the battery and receiver and ESC with velcro inside. Should i also pack them out with "magic foam" to stop them moving or is this just adding unwanted weight.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34622/P1000660.JPG

As you can see there is plenty of space each side of the battery. I have an 8.4v 800mAh 7 cell NiHM battery. All seems to ron fine in my workshop plenty of power. It ran for over 10 minuetes on a bench test Here are 2 pics :- But I think i will pack out the battery as it is quite heavy relative to the rest.

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34622/P1000662_0.JPG

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34622/P1000663.JPG

I guess you must have checked the CofG with battery where you have it, but mine (a 2200 mA Lipo)  needed to be forward of the Rx, right in the nose in fact ,to get the balance right.   I prefer in any case to have it up front where it can't drive into the Rx on abrupt landings.

Yes I did check the CofG. I originaly did have the battery forward infront of the Rx but I could not balance it that way. I needed the battery alot further back to get the CofG correct. What Lipo did you use a 2s or 3s.

I have tried a 2s 400mAh battery but it only gave me a run time of just over 4 mins. and im worried a 3s will have a too higher voltage for the 6v motor. I think my NiMh battery will power it fine as i did not really want to spend on a higher capacity 2s lipo if i could help it. The easy star is just to get me flying and i want to save money for a better looking model as soon as my skill level is up to it.

I use a 3s 2200 lipo and get upwards of 20 mins flight from that stooging around.  It works fine with the standard speed 400 motor if you don't give it full throttle all the time - although I did eventually change to a brushless motor.  I got  the lipos from Hong Kong on Flea Bay for around 15 Euros and they have lasted well.  I expect you will always have the Easy Star in the boot of your car even when you have moved to other models as they are virtually indestructable and remain good fun for a long time apparently.

We will see. so far i have been a bit of a plane eater lol. just waiting on a good fly day to try it out. i have a 1500 3s in the post from flea bay (Hong Kong job) i will give it a try when it arrives. but im sure it will fly ok on my old NiMH battery

I might try some upgrades later on but i shall see how it goes.

Yes it does thanks Ben

I can already see a big fear with this model that it might glide out of sight. Hence my original question about the rudder.

Im both excited and nervious about my maden flight. But im waiting on the weather now. I could be waiting untill next april lol.

FIRST FLIGHT SUCCESS

I flew my easy star today for the first time. Plus this was my first successful flight ever. And by successful i mean I got the model in the air and then back down to earth in one pie

http://forums.modelflying.co.uk/sites/3/images/member_albums/34622/P1000666.JPG

Although not a perfect flight by far the model does have some problems that need sorting.

1. The Battery. The battery capacity was was to small so only lasted for about 5 mins. That is easy to sort as I have new Batteries in the post.

2. Tale Heavy. It was very Tail heavy and kept wanting to stall itself although I had thought I had it balanced correctly. My test was to balance it on my fingers on the CofG recomened by the insructions (is this not accurate enough?)

3. The Trim. This could be hard to sort out. The model always wanted to turn left. The trim setting on my Tx was no where near enough to correct it. The tail section looked straight when i glued it into place but the tention from adding the control rods seems to pull the tale (by twisting the soft foam fuz). In flight the rudder full to the right still resulted in a small left turn. I not sure how to sort it out now.

I especially liked the fact that you managed to get the model back down in one PIE Phil

...please please tell me how you managed that, cos I like pies and iawnski has eaten all of them + the doughnuts

Seriusly mate, very well done there - bit of a mudddy strip you fly from eh

Check the lateral balance and see if one side is heavy, which could cause the turning. Is it rolling or yawing left?

Mine always seemed to want to go   up and stall when it got some speed up It also seemed to  take its time turning and was very hard in any wind,but it taught me lots.I am surprised about the battery time,always got 10 minutes with the standard 8 cell battery supplied by  Mulitplex .Your battery looks twice the size of mine so probably weghs twice  as much.I never needed to add any weight.I have made giant steps by joining a club,and the members a so helpful,and I always get them to fly my A/C first.They  know instantly what is required and have the expertise to get it down safely.Normally I  understand a tail heavy plane is vitually unfliablebut the way you describe your flight reminds me very much of the way mine flew.Do you have the standard 400 motor? well done, enjoy yor well chosen model

Phil, congrats pal!! Welcome to the EZ* Club. Tips: Add some Duct or strong tape to the underside and (maybe) at the point on the u/side of wings where they touch the ground for landings etc. Canopys coming off can be a problem eventually but thats easily rectified. If you burn out the 400 motor a cheap brushed alternative that will take 3S power is the 480 used in most P/Zone planes - but eventually the Bug will bite and a b/less will get stuffed up its 'chuff'!!!! Strong tape on the leading edge only helps stop dings etc. And yo've already found out that this is one Bird that likes loads of weight putting in the nose area. And the guys are always here to help!!!

As for set up I had the standard 400 motor. the yellow battery in the pic is not the one I used for flight. (It was old and would not hold a charge) I had the red 2s lipo 400mAh (top left of pic) in it. The ones i have on order are 7s NiMH 1500 mAh and will do the job.

Yes the black muddy landing strip did stain the new white foam in all the places you recommended covering. So  i will add some duct tape.

The model was yawing to the left as far i could tell (with my limited experience ). It is a very steady model in flight and would not roll very easily. the lateral balance was one thing i did not check thanks for the tip.

As for mods and upgrades Im not even close to that stage yet. the standard motor will stay put untill it breaks.

ROOKIE MISTAKE

Well my beginner inpatients got the better of me. I took my easy star out today and it flew well. The major trim problems were ironed out. I did find the model hard to turn sometimes ( I'm very tempted now to make the rudder larger). My big mistake was to fly this morning in foggy conditions. I lost site of the model in the fog and instantly i knew i was in trouble. I cut the throttle and hoped it would land itself, it was not to high at this stage so i hoped for the best. I had already set the elevator trim on the Tx to push the nose down as in flight it was still trying to stall (although not as bad as before). Unfortunately for me with the throtle off this brought it down hard. After the crunch of the heavy landing (I mean crash) I ran over to find the model on the ground with the nose broken off. But some cocktail sticks ans some glue had it back on. with cocktail sicks as reinforcement it feels even stronger than it was originally although it not as pretty

Phil - don't beat yourself up on this nose thing, its a common thing, its happened to me 3 times and thanks to Elapor foam it goes together well. But what 'glue' are you using - CA or Epoxy?? CA is the recommended one by MPX and the majority, it helps if its the medium stuff 'cos then it tends not to run off the repair so easily. And reinforement sticks are good. But it definately sounds like you (maybe) need to add weight to the nose area to combat the stall attitude. The EZ* is one of the fe planes that can benefit by adding weight - look at it as though it was adding the weight of a camera!!!! Its all experience pal.....

I have some glue I got free with a foam model from china (from ebay). I have no idea what it is the writing on it is all in Chinese. But its fantastic for gluing foam I will be sad when it runs out because i will not be able to replace it. It,s thick in texture and when dry its rubbery and malleable. it does not dry hard and brittle like epoxy.

Anybody have any ideas what it could be?

Sorry Phil - my Chinese is only limited to Szchuan Province, Welsh (Bora Dar!!), Innuit, Swaheli, English/Scottish and Spanish mi amigo.......For most repairs (big ones!) I use Wickes or B&Q epoxy by the bucketload 'cos its only £3 for the 2-pack. The CA I use is medium with a spray-on kicker....does anyone else swear by any other???