Multiplex easy star

Phil 9

Advert

UP AND FLYING

Well i have got my easy star up and flying very well. After the nose repair and some adjustments all is good. My skill level is getting better too and i can fly it and have full control over the model.

I'm having great fun with the easy star but what should i be doing next. How do i go up a level now.

Don't be tempted to push the plane further away (out of range??)....thats looking for trouble. The EZ* is one plane that comes in fast on landing, so try and slow the speed down if you can - find out where your stall limit is. Just enjoy the plane for what it is - one of the best flying pieces of design in the market!!! Enjoy pal..... 

I'm flying th EZ*'s Big Brother, the EasyCub. Because of its wheels I can take off from grass, do everything the EZ* can do, stay aloft for 50 minutes(!!!! - my record), and land easily, and all for £57. I'm now using a 3500 2S lipo for long flights and a 250W motor....briliant combo. 

hi phil only just picked up on your thread, like you i am self tought only started this year i started with the jamara ara first then the easystar, the difference i found with the easystar was with nimh batteries the model did'nt fly well at all too heavy, so  i changed the esc to an xtra 14 amp this allows me to use lipos. so i now use two sizes ploy-pro 1700 mh and a tornado 2200mh both 2 cell and i get in excess of 20 minutes throttle time with the 2200 and 15 with the 1700, mind you with the weather we got in wales at the moment the cold has had a marked difference putting power time below 10 to 12 minutes. with different weights i put three 2pence coines in the nose with the lighter battery to get the c of g right, i have upgraded like you want to and the model i chose was the multiplex easyglider and what it good choice it was, this was recomended to me in a past thread by an experenced flyer, and what i like with the electric glider is i don't  have to look around for a nice flat landing strip,you can can almost put them up anywhere if allowed to.by the way with both models i have put strong reflective tape on the bottom, it's good to see the plane and stops the scuffin when landing. happy flying

Richie - thats not a bad idea (reflective tape), I've been using Duct tape (silver) but your idea is better. This is my 2nd EZ*, the first got 'pinched' by some local NEDS (Non-Educational Delinquents), the plane went out of range (a useless Hitec TX/RX) and came down out of sight. I went round to the plane to see it being loaded into the back of a silver Corsa, which then shot off. Never been found. So I splashed out on a DX6i set-up and have never looked back, the range is phenominal. I'm rnning my new EZ* on a 200W+ inrunner and 2200 2S to get flights of 30 minutes at least - trouble is my neck hurts like Hell.....!!!!! Taking a folding chair next time!!!!

i to have got the spectrum dx6i and have no problems at all. the tape idea came when in the summer i flew my eaystar behind some trees by mistake and thought that was the end of it, i gave it a lot of up elivator hoping to catch sight of her, then up from behind the trees came a figure and thought got you only to find no response then to my suprise the wings started to move and i was only trying to controll  a seagula real live seagul and not far behind i spotted the plane just managed to get control before it went out of sight, while bringing the plane back the seagul kept dive bomming it, so they must have been close all the time.and after that i got hold of spectrum and asked them if there was any way of intergrating into the led panel something to show which way the aircraft is going, with technology these days it should not be difficult, they e-mailed me to say they have put it in the hands of their tec boys, the tape dose work well

OOPs

Well my new NiMH batteries arrived and they where far to big for flying models (scrap). also i has a 1500 3s lipo turn up through the post. i test run the new battery in the easy star and blew the motor. luckily for me i had a spare motor the same physical size spare but it is a more heavy duty motor and a test run shows it is happy with the larger voltage battery. But the new set up is a lot more powerful than the original. I will need to be careful not to crank it up too much until i get used to the extra power.

Well trying to teach myself is certainly producing some mistakes. But I am enjoying the process.

Phil - there is a cheap alternative - take the burnt-out 400 motor and pull the innards (Magnets etc) out of it, leaving just the casing. Buy an E-Max 2812 (£4.60) and bolt it to the end of the casing, then insert the motor back into the fuse. This will give you a 125W 1850Kv set up on a 3S lipo - just about right for more 'oomph'. ESC needs to be 18A. There are plenty of suppliers in RCME for all the bits - I have my favourite one but I don't think its fare to advertise. I ran this set-up for a year with no problems at all.

Hi Guys - Can I join in for a bit help please.

I will shortly be the proud owner of an easy star (I have two 6 Ch. Helis) and elected for the bear kit. I want to fit 2.4Gh(Specktrum DX6i) with AR6200 RX.

Having read everything I can I would like to upgrade the motor to a brushless + prop. Also I have a number of 3S Lipos so would want an ESP  compatable with everything.

Could someone please point me to a setup that won't break the bank whilst I learn to fly. 

I have a good simulator G3.5 so getting better all the time.  Many thanks

hi richard this is what i have done to use lipos with the permax 400 brushed motor which comes with the plane i changed the esc to 16amp continuous and now use 2100mh 7.4 lipo battery the weight of this is 104gr the 2100 3cell is 149gr when i tried to use heavier batteries the plane was all over the place she just did'nt like it, the 2100mh 2cell gives me in excess of 20 minutes throttle and this can be monitored with the spectrum dx6i i so ther's no fear or running the battery to low. i  fitted the spectrum ar6200rx one part is in the front of the hatch and the other is in the back as recomended and have had no problems at all. i dont think you can fit a bigger prop due to space. what i would advise you to do is intouch with www.modelspot.com  tel 01455230952 ther's nothing they don't know about multiplex models. i would be very interested to hear what they say.

Richie - Many thanks for the advice. Its a bit of a mine field at the moment. How do you find the permax 400 power wise. There is some suggestion that it is a bit slow for the job.

As I have not opened the box yet - Christmas present from the lovely wife - what else do I need to buy  other than what we have mentioned.

Also the 400 is 6 volt - is it OK to put a 7.4 volt battery on it?

You also mention the 16amp ESC I was thinking of going for a 30amp - should I fit a UBC.

I note on the box that I need adhesive -could you suggest something please.

hi richard the 400 that comes with the kit is plenty powerfull for the model, no need to waist money on a new one until you burn the 400 out. the 7.4v battery is the one recomended by multiplex , but rember if you use lipos you must upgrade the esc, no need to go to 30amp and no need to change the prop,  modelspot.com will supply you with the xtra 14 amp which will do the job ok, and on the esc there is a jumper which which allows you to run lipos or nimh but to honest  just keep to lipos they are lighter and give much more flying time, don,t quote me on this but if you use  three c 11.4 v you run the risk of burning out the motor, someone may pick that part of the thread and explane more deeply .from what i read there are some types of  cyano that break down elapor but if you ask in you local model shop they will sell you the wright one. i have found the tornado 2200  mh lippo works brill and you can get them from tantronics.co.uk  £23.48 tel 01614271100. tell me rich are the servos already fixed to the model. on the box it will say rr or radio ready,  let me know how you get on,

Richie - Once again many thanks. No there are no servos included. I have quite a number of TowerPro SG90s that I use for the heli - would they be OK.

I will let you know how thing go. I have to say I when I first started with helecopters I did'nt fly the thing for the first two months. I took it apart and set it up a few time to understand how it worked. The good thing now is that I can get to the flying stage a lot sooner.

Hello all

I had my easy star out flying again today. A bit of wind made a lot of difference. But after using FMS I had a good idea of how to cope with it.

If your a beginner like me there is no need to upgrade the easy star with a brushless motor or anything else. I read a lot of threads about the easy star and got the imprecision that upgrading is essential. Modelers like to tinker and experiment with lots of different set ups But i would recommend just going with the standard set up .

I have found the easy star very robust and will take the bumps beginners will always have. Even if damaged the foam is easily glues back together. Even if the worst happens you can by replacement parts (such as wings) without having to buy a complete new model.

Adding duct tape to the parts of the model that scrape the ground when landing is a good idea though.

My plan is to fly it and learn from it. My recommendation is not to upgrade but to fly the easy star until you out grow it and intsead of an upgrade replace it with a more exotic model.

Martin xxx as for props there are loads just see the adverts on this site for online shops there is also a lot of easy star suff on ebay or look at the multiplex web site. If you have a local model shop go there and the will help you. (I an not blessed with a local shop)

richard if the servos you got will fit into the recesses of the plane theres no need why you cannot use them, at this stage of the game if they are to big i would not try to enlarge the holes unless you are confident that you can without having any problems, servos to fit will not break the bank