3.3m wingspan bottle plane flying in the golden light of a summer's evening on the Isle of Wight

Paul Knights

Enjoying some late evening flying and filming of my homemade bottle plane on the downs behind my home - Ventnor, Isle of Wight, UK.  ..just a few days ago.

This is the XL version of a model that was flying quite nicely last year.  I just wanted to see how big I could build using the standard sheets of foamboard available to us here in the UK.

Four full lengths of foamboard gave me a 3.3m (11') wingspan in this case and I added an extra bottle (standard 2 litre PET bottle) to lengthen the fuselage, and a bigger motor (3542, 1450Kv).

I also ended up wrapping the wing in foil tape to give it some extra 'dazzle'!  Loved watching my friend fly it whilst I filmed.  ...'In the process of building a second identical model so we can have two of these beauties flying gracefully in the air at the same time.

Hope you enjoy watching,     ...and listening...   🙂

IMG_1054.JPEG

IMG_7952.jpg

IMG_7974.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A very impressive summer floater, I like it - sort of a big homebrew Radian with personality! 🙂 

I do have a few questions for you actually...

• Can you show us some details of the fuselage construction? How is it bonded and reinforced (if indeed it is)?
  • How do you create the wing section and reinforce the wing?
  • How do you access the internals and change the battery? I would have thought cutting a hatch in thin PET would result in a rather floppy forward fuselage.

PS - A few suggestions for v2  based on the video...

1. You went to some trouble to shape the wings into a pleasing eliptical Bird of Time-ish(!) tip, but then grafted on those super square, low a/r tail surfaces. The look of the model (and probably the performance too) would be improved by refining the tail shapes to match the tips, and utilise some higher a/r surfaces.
  2. Fit a folding prop, it should make a big difference to your power off glide performance. A lower Kv motor with a bigger props would also help on the climb, though I accept you probably aren't gong for ultimate performance with this one.

Edited by MattyB

On 17/08/2022 at 00:48, SIMON CRAGG said:

What a fabulous video, shot in a similar vein to the TV series "Detectorists", one of my all time favourites.

We love the Isle of Wight, well done it is brilliant.

Thank you. 

"Detectorists"!  ...yes, that was great light hearted feel good, summery entertainment...   and I understand where you're coming from - two duffers roaming over the downs pursuing their hobby (flying model planes in this case rather than metal detecting) in pleasant weather conditions, ...talking twaddle   ..and I think the music helped!

Edited by Martin Harris - Moderator
Edited slightly offensive word disguised by wildcard characters - the use of which is against forum rules.

10 hours ago, MattyB said:

A very impressive summer floater, I like it - sort of a big homebrew Radian with personality! 🙂 

I do have a few questions for you actually...

• Can you show us some details of the fuselage construction? How is it bonded and reinforced (if indeed it is)?
  • How do you create the wing section and reinforce the wing?
  • How do you access the internals and change the battery? I would have thought cutting a hatch in thin PET would result in a rather floppy forward fuselage.

PS - A few suggestions for v2  based on the video...

1. You went to some trouble to shape the wings into a pleasing eliptical Bird of Time-ish(!) tip, but then grafted on those super square, low a/r tail surfaces. The look of the model (and probably the performance too) would be improved by refining the tail shapes to match the tips, and utilise some higher a/r surfaces.
  2. Fit a folding prop, it should make a big difference to your power off glide performance. A lower Kv motor with a bigger props would also help on the climb, though I accept you probably aren't gong for ultimate performance with this one.

Just now, Paul Knights said:

Thanks. I started with a Radian quite a few years ago - crashed it and smashed it loads in my learning curve.  ...but always able to patch it up with Gorilla glue, packing tape and BBQ skewers, and fly it again  and again.

In answer to your questions;-

I still haven't yet gotten around to completing an organised set of plans/ tutorial videos for the build - a combination of finding the time and then realising there's an improvement to be made so I hold off from completing any build guide. 

What I can offer however is this link to tutorial I made last year for the fuselage and 'wing support section' which I take credit for - 

...However, the wing build / design I copied from 'Flitetest' and 'Experimental Airlines' - both fantastic resources.  Also, 'Mikeys RC' I used to refer to a lot.

I have cut a hatch in the top of the leading bottle to access battery and esc, receiver etc.  You're right to be concerned for weakness by cutting the bottle here but I reinforced a little with popsicle sticks and once the hatch cover is closed (I secure with velcro on three sides), the structural integrity doesn't seem to be affected.

Your suggestions are very valid points and already in the process of being implemented for the next model.  Currently having trouble getting the folding prop/spinner here in UK at the moment though. Current prop I'm using is very cheap (and flexible!) 10" x6" so I'm sure it would benefit from a stiffer folding prop and perhaps a lower Kv motor too.

Hope that's answered some of your questions.  Appreciate your comments and interest. Thanks.   

ps a few pics attached to try and convey my passion, messy, slightly disorganised hobby!

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Paul Knights said:

Thanks. I started with a Radian quite a few years ago - crashed it and smashed it loads in my learning curve.  ...but always able to patch it up with Gorilla glue, packing tape and BBQ skewers, and fly it again  and again.

I still haven't yet gotten around to completing an organised set of plans/ tutorial videos for the build - a combination of finding the time and then realising there's an improvement to be made so I hold off from completing any build guide. 

What I can offer however is this link to tutorial I made last year for the fuselage and 'wing support section' which I take credit for - 

...However, the wing build / design I copied from 'Flitetest' and 'Experimental Airlines' - both fantastic resources.  Also, 'Mikeys RC' I used to refer to a lot.

I have cut a hatch in the top of the leading bottle to access battery and esc, receiver etc.  You're right to be concerned for weakness by cutting the bottle here but I reinforced a little with popsicle sticks and once the hatch cover is closed (I secure with velcro on three sides), the structural integrity doesn't seem to be affected.

Your suggestions are very valid points and already in the process of being implemented for the next model.  Currently having trouble getting the folding prop/spinner here in UK at the moment though. Current prop I'm using is very cheap (and flexible!) 10" x6" so I'm sure it would benefit from a stiffer folding prop and perhaps a lower Kv motor too.

Hope that's answered some of your questions.  Appreciate your comments and interest. Thanks.   

ps a few pics attached to try and convey my passion, messy, slightly disorganised hobby!

IMG_8040.jpg

IMG_8038.jpg

IMG_8037.jpg

Many thanks, that build vid on the fuselage was very instructive. I do really like the ugly duckling, Womble-friendly 😉 vibe to this model, and it does seem to fly very well. I think my main concern would be getting it back when it encountered its first boomer!

On 17/08/2022 at 09:28, Paul Knights said:
On 18/08/2022 at 22:16, Wihtgar said:

Hi Paul, where do you get your foam from?

Hi,   from Amazon UK - "Cathedral" foamboard A1 5mm I seem to recall.  It costs around £25-£30 for pack of 10 sheets.  This 3.3m wing uses 4 sheets (one for each section) and a fifth sheet for tail sections.

• Like 1