Battery chargers demystified

jack lackmaker

Advert

I wasnt  - I just said "some".

The rather good VFM GT chargers for instance have a simple english interface included with them. Many similar units also have the required mini usb port these days to interface, and if there is nosupplied software then free stufff is available on the net such as logview which has reasonable version of the interface in english

In my opinion, if you have a 12V input charger there's a cheaper and nicer (and lighter) solution to powering it than a £85 Leisure Battery:  buy a mass-produced powerpack intended to drive a computer screen.  You see these advertised as TFT powerpacks on Ebay.  I bought one (new) from China for £4.  It's rated at 5A and is stabilised and smoothed.  Search ebay.co.uk on TFT Power 5A, sorted price + carriage lowest and you'll find them.  Mine was from
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/uk/s.gif

allforlaptop

My 12V-input charger has a max output charge rate of just 2A, and for this it takes a maximum of 3.7A input - well within the 5A capacity power supply capacity.  Now that LiPos are relatively inexpensive, the idea of field-charging them seems a bit out of date. You can buy quite a few LiPos for the cost of a Leisure battery.  And if you're going to charge them in advance at home, charging at a low rate will likely increase their life (and be safer).  So it all works for me, and so I don't find it too limiting at all.

What's the hurry?  If anything's old hat it's buying a Leisure battery to take to the field.  Necessary when you used NiCds as these needed a charge-boost to top them off, and power / weight ratio meant you needed every scrap of charge.  Or when you could only afford 1 LiPo and needed to field-charge it to fly twice in one day.  Now that's all in the past.  Good LiPos hold their charge very well, and when I've used mine there's loads of time to recharge them at home.  If I'm using c. 2000 mAH packs they will recharge in 1 hour each.  And while LiPos not cheap they're sufficiently affordable for you to buy a day-out's worth.  If the article was aimed at beginners or near-beginners then they are probably just using 3S (and probably not A123s either!) so a simple inexpensive set-up like mine is probably quite adequate for them.

You will see such (4A or 5A) power-packs offered by some of the EF webstores, without indicating their original purpose.  But these are priced a bit higher than £4 each!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
Can anybody tell me if I can use my Overlander Rc-6sAC pro Balance charger to charge a car battery.
Thank you. 

Edited By Roy Wellington on 10/02/2012 16:15:46