Windows Updates

Robert Cracknell

Can someone please explain the following.....

If I click on an attachment in a suspect email my hard drive could be instantly corrupted, my data scrambled or stolen and my computer and its operating system rendered useless. All in a matter of seconds.

On the other hand when my Windows 10 needs an update it requires me to stop what I am doing while it installs and configure the update. It usually requires a restart after all this has gone on. The timescale is usually 10 - 15 minutes.

It seems to me that if Microsoft got some of the virus writers to write the operating systems we might get computers that run and update faster..!!

Advert

On 18/08/2022 at 12:47, Robert Cracknell said:

It seems to me that if Microsoft got some of the virus writers to write the operating systems we might get computers that run and update faster..!!

They did and sacked their testing staff. This started in 2018 where every update would wipe printer drivers or screen setups. Come October that year, about a million users were hit by the virus that Microsoft wrote. It wiped the computer and it reverted to from Win 10 to Win 7.

Fortunately here, I'd made sure everything was backed up on another disk. So the morning my partner had problems and a wiped computer, I swapped cables from the Windows disk to a Linux disk with all the data on it, booted it and she simply carried on using the computer as if nothing had happened EXCEPT it never had an update problem, ever again. Yes, updates might take a couple of minutes, but only when we want them.

And how did she find using Linux Mint? Just about the same way she had always used her computer, web browsing, accounts via spreadsheets, downloading music and sheet music, doing emails, etc. etc.