About the Hawker Hurricane

First of all, my condolenses for the loss of Queen Elizabeth.

So, I got my hands of a Balsacraft Hawker Hurricane kit, and the maiden flight is coming. i know that the Mk1 JU-B was one of the Hurricanes of 111th Squadron. I'm interested to find out more about for example who was the pilot and what happened to the plane. I have found only one image of JU-B in a refuelling situation.

So does anyone know where to find mor of the history of the plane, of sourse I've found much just by using Google, but I would kike to read more and perhaps find som more pictures.

Best regards

Jan Olov Stenberg, Sweden

Advert

Hi Jan

You might like to try contacting www.wingleader.co.uk who publish a series of day by day accounts of the Battle of Britain in a number of volumes. Their earlier Air Combat Archive covering Operation Dynamo, the evacuation of the British Army through Dunkirk references 111 Squadron being engaged in fighting on days 6,7 and 8 (31 May - 2 June) some individual pilots are named and their combat reports quoted, however their individual aircraft are not listed by squadron number or aircraft number i.e. JU-B, L2001.

You might also try the RAF Museum at Hendon who may be able to help.

Sorry not to have been of more use but I'm sure there will be other forum members with information.

Best regards

Paul

Hi Jan,

" Osprey Aircraft of the Aces.18.    Hurricane Aces 1939-40".  Not a lot of information but does show the image you mention also that while with 111 Squadron it was a regular mount of "ace to be" Flg Off Henry M Ferris.

L2001 was finally written off in a fatal accident at Hatfield 19 June 1940.

Hope this helps.

Regards 

Mike

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I found the websites interesting and I will continue to explore.

David: The decals in the kit seems to be exactly as seen in the picture without the red/white/blue on the fin and no yellow outer roundel.

Pity about the fate for mr Ferriss and the airplane, but things were obviously extreme chaotic then.

That photo is certainly interesting. L2001 was one of the original production batches of Hurricanes, and these had fabric covered wings. The first with metal covered wings was L2027, though some aircraft with the fabric covered wings later had them replaced by metal ones.

Looking at the apparently pristine finish on that starboard outer wing panel, and the difference in colour between that panel and the inner wing panels (which were always metal covered) suggests that perhaps it has just been repaired and hasn't yet had it's roundel added.

The lack of fin flash was common on Hurricanes of this era.

L2001 was damaged in an accident in November 1939 so the photo may well have been taken shortly after this had been repaired.

The other Hurricane in the photo has the half black / half white undersides to the wings. L2001 would have been similar, though there were variations to this.

There is some information here...

http://www.rafcommands.com/database/serials/details.php?uniq=L2001

Brian.