Foamboard Yokosuka floatplane build.

martin collins 1

My ME109 is at the painting stage now and hopefully will be finished this week so i am looking at my next project which will be a Yokosuka floatplane, i already have a small free flight version which i acquired several years ago as you see in the picture. I have a pair of foam floats which i got nice and cheap at a bring and buy and using the dimensions from the free flight model against the floats i have it would put the r/c model at 46" wingspan. The float to aircraft strutery will have to be wire i guess and i am thinking of using lightply formers where the struts go in to the airframe and the drilling and binding with cotton/epoxy to secure them. The nose of the floats will be cut on the underside and fitted with thin ply wheels with only the lower 3rd showing to hopefully enable it to take off on grass, if i can keep the model light enough by using mostly depron hopefully that will be possible. Any thoughts/advice/encouragement welcomed! I will of course do a build thread, am heading off to `The Works` tomorrow to pick up a roll of drawing paper to pen up the plans for the model to use as patterns. 

IMG_20210528_194626.jpg

IMG_20210528_194646.jpg

YOKOSHO 2 GO E6Y1 PLAN.jpg

• Like 2

Advert

Nice subject Martin,

looking forward to seeing the 109 painted, I have posted some photos of a 37" span foam SE.5, it is a Horizon Hobbies model. it was given to me needing a little bit of work. 

It fly's very well in a 3s 2200 battery and just needs a paint touch up.  The strut fixings are plastic and locate on the top and bottom of the wings, ply could be used instead. 

The under carriage is wire set into plastic mouldings in the fuselage, again ply could be used. I hope this will give you food for thought on the Yokosuka project.

I go to the local wallpaper shop for my drawing paper, light weight lining paper. 

Cheers Eric.

20220913_082934[351]wing fixing 1.jpg

20220913_082904[350]wing fixing 2.jpg

20220913_082854[349]wing fixing 3.jpg

Thanks Eric, some good ideas there, i have yet to decide if it will be one piece or have removable wings which would add more weight, i think the key to success would be to keep the weight down so 3mm depron would be used for much of the skinning, bottom of the wings will probably be the Hobbycraft 5mm board and also the internal formers.