Ender 3 V2 Power Loss Recovery Surprise!

EvilC57

I was printing an aileron for the Planeprint Jetwing I'm building, when I had a power cut earlier this morning. I knew that some of the more expensive printers such as the Prusas advertise power loss recovery so they'll pick up from where they left off in the event of a power cut during a print. However I've never seen this feature advertised for the cheaper Ender 3 series printers, so I assumed my Ender 3 V2 didn't have it, and that in such an event I would lose the print.

So when everything in the house dropped out when I was about 90% into the print, I though 'Oh dear, (or words to that effect!) I've just lost it'. However looking at the printer, the onscreen menu invited me to resume after an unexpected power loss. I took the option to continue, and the only ill effects suffered were a small 'nodule' at the trailing edge of the aileron which can be trimmed off, and a slight ridge in the layer where the event happened, which is such a small defect I can live with it.

Pleasantly surprised!

IMG_5586.thumb.JPG.1a7386f8fa5e276563d5fb08130c8205.JPG

Edited by EvilC57

• 1 month later...
On 07/12/2022 at 13:41, EvilC57 said:

I was printing an aileron for the Planeprint Jetwing I'm building, when I had a power cut earlier this morning. I knew that some of the more expensive printers such as the Prusas advertise power loss recovery so they'll pick up from where they left off in the event of a power cut during a print. However I've never seen this feature advertised for the cheaper Ender 3 series printers, so I assumed my Ender 3 V2 didn't have it, and that in such an event I would lose the print.

So when everything in the house dropped out when I was about 90% into the print, I though 'Oh dear, (or words to that effect!) I've just lost it'. However looking at the printer, the onscreen menu invited me to resume after an unexpected power loss. I took the option to continue, and the only ill effects suffered were a small 'nodule' at the trailing edge of the aileron which can be trimmed off, and a slight ridge in the layer where the event happened, which is such a small defect I can live with it.

Pleasantly surprised!

IMG_5586.thumb.JPG.1a7386f8fa5e276563d5fb08130c8205.JPG

That looks really good, my printer has a filament runout detector and I was wondering how the printer would cope if the filament ever did run out. Seeing that gives me hope it will be fine.

I'm not sure how to load a new roll and feed it without the extruder running empty but I will google it now just in case.