The "B&Q Floormaster foam" thread - what are you doing with yours?

Phil_G

Advert

Someone posted about a flatbed hot-wire sheet splitter,  he made 2x3mm  or  4mm & 2mm from 6mm IIRC. It was just a hot wire held 2mm above a flat board set at a steep angle such that the depron sheet slowly dropped through the wire by gravity.  I cant find the post now, maybe it was on RCU. Might even have been on youtube as I remember seeing a video of the cut.

Worth a try?

Cheers

Phil

Guys,

I also heard that you can order the foam - so went to my local B&Q to try to do so. The woman was very helpful, and said the best thing was to go direct to the suppliers. They kept her waiting, and eventually said that they only provided it to B&Q and were no longer doing so.

So now I'm confused as whether you can actually get it or not! Anyone tried going to the actual distributors themselves?

Cheers, 

Pete, I have got the flooring, just need to confirm what the glazing bar is that you used for the spas. Is it a round or tube section and what is it made from, as if I can't get any, I could have an idea for a substitute. We are in the process of building a Floormaster Mig 31.

the glazing spacer is a rectangular hollow sect ali bar as used to space the glass in your homes double glazing just have a gander at the edge of the glass it comes in varying widths and silver or gold coloured google sealed unit spacer bar or find a small glass shop near you that makes sealed units they would prob sell you a few lengths

The double glazing "bars ", I use the same thickness as the "foam "  is 6x6 mm square tube as a wing spar , and 10x6 as a fuz longeron .

my supplier charges me £1.00 for a length which is 4 meters !!

Glue it to the foam with epoxy  , If you use it for balsa craft, and I have built a complete WOT 4 using it It will glue easily with cyno , ( Wot 4 less than 4 lbs !!!!!)

Have lots of photos if any interest

pete  

I wonder where Greenair got the idea from ??

I have been using it for over 12 years now, and I did have an article on this type of construction published in Model World  many moons ago .

all my major flying machines have this ally construction somewhere , mainly the tail , to ensure against breakage in violent manouvers , ( Quest, Tindall inno , Capiche etc )

it might bend , but never break !! and its lighter than heavy balsa ! 15 thou wall thickness

just dont understand why more people have never taken it up