Mag Advertisers, please change the lay out.

Former Member

Advert

I'm suprised that I find myself saying this but... Als are one of the only advertisers that feature enough pictures and usualy back this up with a full page feature ad with 2-3 models and the full spec of what else you need.I find this a very tempting proposition.

I think it's very difficult for advertisers at the moment, I can see why they are going for a micro sized inventory approach, as they know full well that most readers have access to the interweb. So they need to show you that they have comprehensive stock and selection so will probably have what you are looking for. But why not have a glance through and give them all a call so see what they've got, at least this would give them opportunity to compete for your £s through customer service.

There is also plenty of opinion on here so it's always worth asking.

I know exactly what you mean Phil, both in terms of enticing pictures and spend priorities

**Shameles plug alert**
If there are any advertisers out there that would like to try something a bit differerent (even a fresh new look) I'll be happy to talk to you.

right sorry for that outburst of indirect marketing (hope I didn't break the rules)

I'm lucky in the fact that although I live within 20 mins of Als Hobbies, they usualy don't have what I need. So I come home again and start digging through my balsa stock to build something from scratch.

Phil, not advertising specificaly, but graphic and web design get me involved with all kinds of industries. I'll add a bit more to my profile.

I just remember the Super Fly being very heavy (as I was usualy entrusted with carrying it to the field)

• 2 weeks later...

phil

have you never used the google search to find out something??? believe me if i want to know what something is albeit EPO foam or the latest Twiddlestar expo II i punch in the name on the google search and hit return.  it really is that easy

for a model shop/advertiser to put an explanation as to what every model is would cost a fortune in add space and time which i'm sure is why they advertise the way they do.

nasa

as for price increases take a look what the £ is worth against the euro the  $ and whatever other currency and you'll see why the prices have gone up

phil

actually you are a little off the mark there to be honest "EPP flying wing" gets you 19300 hits on the google search engine if you can't find one there where else are you going to find one?? most shops like to advertise models by means of the manufacturer and not the model type which makes sense to me i certainly would not if i were a shop be listing any other way to be honest which obviously ain't enough for you. i cannot see the problem with doing a bit of legwork myself after all i manage to do it and it seems most of the other people here do. Mag add's are simplified because of the cost of the space that is why most shops have website's where you can of course find out if they have something in stock. a search for a manufacturer normally gets you a list of stockists as well. i don't think model type is as black and white as you think one mans epp foamy is another mans park flyer  as such

on the other front just because the add is in the mag does not mean they are in stock those add's can be up to 2 months old as they hit the shelves your best bet as i've said is internet searches and questions on the forums such as this " can someone recommend" usually gets good results the mag add's are a good idea of what they normally stock but a call or web search is normally a better bet

steve

Phil. I actually think you are going at this whole thing the wrong way.

All just personal thoughts of course, but I actually dont think the adverts are there to "sell you something" but more to show prospective buyers that they stock the thing

( assuming stock control is good of course ).

I usually buy something NOT because I see it advertised, but because it is something I know I want because I have either had it recommended to me by somone I trust, or I have seen / heard it do its job and was impressed. Once I have decided on the item I then simply search out who stocks it at the best price

( WWW, followed by telephone to the rescue here ).

I have followed your various threads which often mention your "problem" of not knowing what to get and where from, but I have to say mate.... less worrying / wondering and more actual buying!

Several people have recommended several different models that will fulfill the criteria you have set.....its now down to you to....

A) Wait for the bearded man to do his stuff on the WT in a couple of days

B) Stop dithering, and go and buy one of the other damn things we have all suggested

Its only money, lifes short, and as Ulty's Dad said.... "shrouds dont have pockets"!

Phil,

Have you tried google images? epp flying wing will give you 21,300 pictures, a lot i know but if you see something you like you can then click the link and read a bit more about it, but as tim says go by recomendations of the guys who have them good or bad and make your mind up

hope it helps andy