Mag Advertisers, please change the lay out.

Former Member

Advert

so Phil you found google then why do you ask Futaba if you want Futaba google Futaba!! if you want 35Mhz receiver google 35mhz receiver !!whats all the fuss about??? i'm sure i don't have to tell you Futaba is not the only manufacturer out there or do i? 

you told me you could not Google EPP foam wing and i'm telling you you can AND get results ,not my problem you don't want to read all 19300 hits ,the first page alone gives at least 4 different model names is that not enough?

its obvious that you can use the internet all i can say is use it .what do you want us to hold your hand and tell you what to buy? then have you come back and tell us you don't like it. make a decision look at something ask some questions (forum) go and buy nothing simpler in my eyes

WHY ALL THE FUSS??????????

not sure what more you want ??everyone else seems to be able to cope

SW models keeps loads of stuff and gives good advice do yourself a favour go and visit them you obviously need help making a decision they could even if asked make it for you i'm sure

Phil Wood wrote (see)
Timbo - forum moderator wrote (see)

I have followed your various threads which often mention your "problem" of not knowing what to get and where from, but I have to say mate.... less worrying / wondering and more actual buying!

Several people have recommended several different models that will fulfill the criteria you have set.....its now down to you to....

A) Wait for the bearded man to do his stuff on the WT in a couple of days

B) Stop dithering, and go and buy one of the other damn things we have all suggested

Its only money, lifes short, and as Ulty's Dad said.... "shrouds dont have pockets"!

By "bearded man" I have to assume you mean our Mike he's the one nagging on about the WT now.

To be honest Tim I think I started this thread partly because of Mike and partly because I was out of it for so long............I only know what to look for now because I met up with you rabble, poor Mikey still hasn't got a clue what's listed in the adverts and this makes it very difficult for me to get surprise pressies.

(I didn't know what an Irvine X-IT was until Andy told me.).....  now if I'd seen one in an advert...........

It was only intended to be a bit of fun and strike up some conversation............It must have been quiet in the forum............You went flying without me didn't you?

If any advertisers out there feel insulted then I humbly apologise but I'd still like to see something more exciting and varied...........

I've just checked Webbies page and he's got the Zagi and X-IT listed so I'll ring him tomorrow and if Mike's off work  we'll take a run over there and get whatever's in stock...............You and Kev can start trembling then.  ......................................WT will be reserved for total humiliation.

Polyphilla.

No -I  meant the one with the white beard - thought santa was bringing you a WT ??

I do like adverts and see them as a valuable part of the magazine. I too therefore like to see pictures in adverts. Not all models are reviewed by the mag, partly due to the numbers, also being given access to them, i guess.

If many people use adverts in a similar way perhaps, Dave, could encourage more suppliers (wholesaler/distributer/importer) and manufactures to place adverts and not only the retailers .

There always seemed to a lot of pictures in the USA magazines although few seem to be about now.

I think the generally posative feed back from contributers that they are aware of suppliers should encourage potential advertisers, that advertising works.

Erfolg

Phil Wood wrote (see)

Yes of course I have, I use it all the time.   If I decided I wanted an EPP flying wing I would not dream up the names Zagi, X-IT or Venom, so how can I Google them?     Googling "EPP flying wing" won't automatically give me these names either, or tell me if the shop stocks them.............A simple category like "EPP models" in an advert will give me these names if the shop stocks them..................Then I use Google and find details and reviews before I buy.

what i am saying is it does and it gave 19300 hits the first page gave me at least 4 names of models to start with

you wroteQUOTE;I've just Googled "35 MHz receiver" and look what you get.

Futaba isn't mentioned until link eleven I think....and there are a quarter of a million places to look at..............I don't fancy reading all that text when I could go to a mag and look up "receivers

i believe this is where you mention Futaba!!

why did i ask about DL50 candidates? well firstly the google search gave a long list of names as i knew it would i read a good few reviews,articles and seeing as i VALUE other opinions i posted here after all this IS the internet  isn't it? BUT what has that got to do with this?

two reviews eh??? Timbo do you want to tell him?

maybe ads could be different BUT ad space is expensive and decent pictures are needed to convey what a model looks like i cannot see anyone doing anything different there are some of the larger shops and manufacturers that can afford full page ads but they are few and far between.

your posts make you sound like you cannot be bothered to look on the internet and that the model shops should cater for this shortfall by plastering photo's all over their ads and my answer or opinion is why should they? to me a mag ad tells you of a shop and what they normally stock and thats it if i need to know more i look on the net. if you look in the small ads in the local rag do you expect photo's there? now if there is a host specific product then yes but most shops stock the same to a point as the next shop so a list is normally all you'll get and thats if your lucky.

oh incidentally the Multiplex Blizzard was reviewed in the November 2008 issue of RCM&E if you want to know more about the model.

nasa

Phil Wood wrote (see)

i believe this is where you mention Futaba!!

two reviews eh??? Timbo do you want to tell him?

oh incidentally the Multiplex Blizzard was reviewed in the November 2008 issue of RCM&E if you want to know more about the model.

nasa

I mentioned Futaba but I do not wish to ask them a question.

I wrote "two articles" not "two reviews" and  that is what this system lists.

I didn't pay much attention to the Blizzard article at the time because it was not one of my interests. Now my interests have changed I will probably dig out the mag and read it.

Phil.

PM sent.

Sorry Phil but for years everyone I know in the aeromodelling game bemoaned having the same old adverts in the mags month in and month out now we have the luxury of being able to research shop and buy online without ever having to buy a magazine (sorry David). We can also buy online from sources anywhere in the world all from the comfort of our own homes assuming we have computer access and you want to drag us back in time to the good old days, sorry not for me you're on your own in that Tardis

I must apologise for the standard of my previous note, I have an excuse, errrrrrr.

Most of us by from the internet these days and yes, often pictures can be included on the web page. Yet I would argue that a picture in a magazine reaches us more effectively. The magazine can and often influences us even when we are not seeking a model and often influences in many ways which we are not aware. I would argue that magazines are far more effective than the internet at reaching an audiance at a specific time. You may get thousands of hits in the internet, but what is the time frame?

It realy is in the interest of the importer of the models to support model advertisements in magazines. I note that most, if not all models are manufactured abroad, and I guess many distributers have an exclusivity deal for the UK. If the importer of say L&N models wants to sell effectively, they need to place an advert, with an image, as word of mouth is slow, unless it is bad news. It is in there interest. Unless that is they are content to sell in small numbers.

Erfolg

I think what we have here is, perhaps, paticular to slope models and other 'interests'. Flying slope models is quite a niche within a niche - and NOT a huge market (unless Tim carries on destroying models). So you're not going to see half page ads for Fusions and Wildthings.

Does Reed have ads for Jart LT's in RCM&E? No, but you know what one is, don't ya?

I too found it difficult to find where to start in terms of what slope model to buy, but really the deadlock was broken with my first visit to a local slope full of fliers - Pole Cottage - where all present quickly recommended the WT as a great newcomers model. Could they remember the URL? No! So they suggested Googling 'SAS Wildthing', which of course led me straight to Alan's (not great) website.

With something as rewarding as aeromodelling slope gliders, I think a bit of difficulty in 'getting in' and learning what's what can only make your journey that more rewarding and unique to you. Let the models come to you through recommendation.

Let the (wind) force flow, Phil, and your path to true slope Jedi will find YOU.

Besides, if it was too easy to get into living slopeside then there wouldn't be room for us, and that would never do.