Ruckus and 4S

Nigel Heather

Thinking of buying a Ruckus to replace my battered AcroWot Foam-E.

Was planning on using 4S as I have another project on the board that needs 4S - but I have a few questions

• I’ve heard some saying that the battery bay is tight for 3S 2200, so how is it for 4S?
  • The spec says 3S 2200 or 4S 2200 - could I squeeze a larger capacity 4S in there?
  • What does it fly like on 4S? Say compared with an AcroWot Foam-E on 3S?
  • I read someone saying that with the standard motor and ESC with a 4S battery - then static on full chat it pulls 38A and the 40A ESC gets hot - does that sound right?

BTW I know about the weights in the cowling that I should remove.

Advert

You're not getting a lot of response on this, are you?

Just by way of bumping it back up the list, I would suggest that the Riot has the limited space issue, but the Ruckus looks to have much more space available, from what little I've seen. 

I've got a Riot, and while the battery box isn't huge, I fly mine with 3s 3000 / 3200 which fit without any modification. I've read of a 4s 3000 fitting into the Ruckus but can't say more than that.

Maybe someone with experience of the Ruckus can confirm?

If you don't upgrade the esc, you will need to use a suitable prop for the 4s setup - seem to recall 11x5 or thereabouts - it's on the Century website. I use a 12x8 on a totally stock 3s setup which pulls 38A static, but have had no problems with the esc overheating, but I do use the throttle (i.e. I'm not flat out all the time).

hth

Kim

• Like 1

I flew my Ruckus on a 4S 2200 using the supplied 11 x 5 prop. Flew great! The 2200 will give you around 8 minutes of "sensible" flying.

A couple of changes I made to my Ruckus were to bend the wing spar a bit to give a few degrees dihedral, which, in my opinion, made it more stable, and I changed the u/c for a straight legged unit to bring the wheels back just in front of the leading edge. This makes landing a doddle! A flying mate just turned the original legs around on his so they were facing "backwards" which has the same effect. 

• Like 1