Fly Sky i6 radio

fly boy3

As with so many questions of this nature I'm afraid the answer is 'it depends' 😀

But briefly in your case you should not need to do any updates/upgrades - the latest firmware is dated 2017 https://www.flysky-cn.com/i6-xiazai

I can give a couple of examples of when you may need to update the transmitter, or not.

I've a Spektrum DX9 which I have not updated for about 8 years. Soon after I bought it there were updates that cured some bugs in the software and also introduced a more comprehensive programming menu. I uploaded these updates and I was left with a reliable & stable system which I is compatible with all my Spektrum receivers, but I have not updated since.

That is because a couple of years later I started shifting to Jeti. Here I regularly update both the transmitter & receivers, leaving it for a couple of months after an update is published to see if any faults in the updated firmware emerge. If I had not done this some of my new receivers and sensors would not work properly as the Transmitter stores a file for each receiver/sensor type and if it does not have that file it cannot communicate properly with the device. Also the updates introduce 'new' features from time to time.

2 hours ago, OLD FLIER said:

Hi all, just received this radio and reading the on line manual it mentions upgrades via pc. Is there a need for this and what do upgrades do ?  Thanks FB3

I'm no expert and use a Turnigy i6 which is the same as your model.  From what I read about upgrades the reason most people seem to have done it is because it mainly increases the number of channels from 6 to 10.

And no, I haven't done it myself, six is more than enough for me at the moment.