On Board Glow

Richard Duvall

Advert

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone who answered my question. There seemed to be mixed opinion on the need for on-board glow but the majority seemed in favour so I decided to go for one. Luckily, I got in as one of the last of Timbo's customers.  Although my Chipmunk is some way from completion, I had already got my shiny new (well dull grey really) SC70 and fired it up firstly without the on-board glow and then with. Despite my limited experience, it was clear to me that the engine operated noticeably better at low revs with the on-board glow.  On top of that there is the benefit of the convenience of not needing to connect and disconnect the glow whether direct of remote.

Lets hope the idea of publishing Timbo's design goes ahead as it is significantly cheaper that the comercially available equivalents.  I'm surprised that none of the experts jumped on Kevin's post above as the project would be an automated glow controller not a "remote glow"!

Timbo, if you have ended your onboard glow building career, definitely add me to the list of supporters of having a glow controller project published in the mag.

Off thread, I know, but I'd also love to see a build project in the mag for a home-built servo slower for retracts.

• 4 years later...