ESM Focke Wulf 71" thrust lines

Artto Ilmanen

Gents,

It seems that the thrust lines marked on the firewall of the model are way off.  From what I have read this is not unusual with ESM / YT kits.

Also, there is no right / down thrust angle built in the firewall. The manual does not say any thing on the matter? My general experience you need some down /right thrust angle.

So, I have been thinking of applying 3° down and 3°right thrust angle.  In order to find out the location of the engine mount drill holes in the firewall I plan to mount the cowling as straight as possible on the model by eyeballing it and then move the engine around to centralise it with the cowling hole. The engine is completely concealed inside the cowling so at least theoretically I should be able to carry out the process ( maybe I need to find a way to hold the model in vertical position)

What do you think?  Could the 3° down / right be in the ballpark of what is needed? Any other hints?

Artto

Definitely install the engine with no thrust line offsets. They just aren't needed on a model with this configuration. As Jon says, just applying a bit of right rudder in long verticals is easy. Imagine how horrible it would look with the prop and spinner at funny angles to the front of the cowl! 

Thanks Jon and Alan

As a side note: this is my first warbird so all advice is greatly appreciated. 

Anyways, if I mount the engine with no thrust line angle, directly on the firewall in accordance with the lines marked on firewall the engine prop driver is way too high from the center of the cowling hole. About 1cm offset. So I need to do something on this