TopModel Slash 1.6M Glider build/assemble

Very nice looking glider Mike, a useful size too. The carbon reinforcement is visible to the fuselage wing seat and cockpit opening area.  I hope the nose area is comprehensively reinforced too. I have an ancient Kyosho Stratos with a very lightweight GRP fuz which I reinforced with carbon tows but the nose cracked in an arrival. You can’t have too much reinforcement in this vulnerable area in my view.

Shame the Slash is showing out of stock.

10 hours ago, Piers Bowlan said:

Very nice looking glider Mike, a useful size too. The carbon reinforcement is visible to the fuselage wing seat and cockpit opening area.  I hope the nose area is comprehensively reinforced too. I have an ancient Kyosho Stratos with a very lightweight GRP fuz which I reinforced with carbon tows but the nose cracked in an arrival. You can’t have too much reinforcement in this vulnerable area in my view.

Shame the Slash is showing out of stock.

Yes - good size, and versatile enough for holidays as well as light wind days up the slope. May add some kevlar to the nose. As mine is black it's very difficult to tell where the carbon is!  But certainly a nicely moulded, light fuselage and we have mainly soft slopes 🙂 

I should say that the instructions recommend 11.5mm ES08 MD II servos and provides servo covers with raised mouldings for them. 

image.thumb.png.4806f29d347a3f14b1a5ede7670ea6ba.png

The kit supply ply servo mounts, but I was not sure if you were meant to press fit or glue the servos into these.

So given I already had the 9mm servos with wing adaptors, I went for them.

The skins look to be  1/16" balsa nicely reinforced with circa 1oz glass or so at this point.

Edited by Mike Chantler

Wing Mounts

I skipped past the ailerons etc. for now as I wanted to tackle what I thought could be a tricky bit: drilling the holes in the right in the fuselage for the carbon wing location dowels. I found that marking the position across the width of the fus easy, but that deciding the height of the holes was difficult.

image.thumb.png.15f85f99f6cd239649775e51dc7b19bd.png

image.thumb.png.2c0ed19a25252c645b3e83e4b524a777.png

image.thumb.png.52dd655c0c0de5ca565fec07edbc54bc.png

In the end I just drilled 1.5 mm holes about in the right place and then just gradually enlarged these with a needle file, repeatedly checking fit with increasing diameters of dowel. Just forced myself to do it slowly - not a characteristic I find easy. 

image.thumb.png.2d02a8eec0ebe7f4f1809ce2424629de.png  

Ended up being much easier than I expected 🙂

Watching along Mike, it's a model I've thought about acquiring in the past so will be interested to see how yours is. 

I built the Top Model Grafas Maxi 3.52m a couple of years ago and felt that a bit more could have been done at the factory (wing location dowels for one) for the money, but it all came out ok in the end and it certainly flies well. 

Drilled through nice little brass inserts in wing into fus and through wing seat ply plate:

image.thumb.png.b6b63091646f10a5a4d3209e9a9eefaf.png

Used some long bolts to make application of epoxy easier (always have fear of gluing every thing together here, eek!):

image.thumb.png.69d787730e0a8f6ec4d5801cb5f6295d.png

Done 🙂 and seems to be at right angle :and position phew(!) 🙂

image.thumb.png.538d279464b1a3bfd0cc5ba7e026f593.png

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, David Ashby - Moderator said:

I built the Top Model Grafas Maxi 3.52m a couple of years ago and felt that a bit more could have been done at the factory (wing location dowels for one) for the money, but it all came out ok in the end and it certainly flies well. 

Yup, in this model the wing dowel holes could of been better aligned, and making the holes in the fuselage was a bit of a fiddle. But, for the cash, I think it's excellent. The light weight, built-up wing is just fab, and lighter than anything I would build.  And having seen how it flies in light wind, I think it is great value for money.

Edited by Mike Chantler

So I was quite pleased that I had just taken it very slow with the front dowel holes and the rear blind nuts 🙂🙂, normally I rush these type of things in the excitement and get epoxy on the moulding or misaligned bits and things start to go downhill.  I'm sure this would be an extremely quick model to build 2nd time around, but I found it needed quite a lot of reading, thinking and dry assembly time to convince myself I wasn't going to mess up (however, there is still plenty of scope with the rest of the plane!).

In the end I reverted to my usual method of replacing the blind-nut with a little piece of hard wood, gluing it in place, and then drilling and tapping from the outside.

image.thumb.png.529f6c2a0ed66f6a7a897ebf576cf0a1.png

For peace of mind did a test first to check the the wood would take the thread.

This worked well, but afterwards it occurred to me that I could  pf protected the bolt with release wax, and used an additional nut threaded onto the bolt first to help secure the blind nut in the right place, then popped some epoxy onto the back of the blind nut - will likely do it this way next time.

Diagram below to make sure I remember in next build!!

image.thumb.png.2a59cc98b7cca2d5d504a9c7813b37d9.png