TopModel Slash 1.6M Glider build/assemble

Ha! Wondered why the scalpel slide into the two rudder hinge locations so easily - those nice folk at Top Model had already put slots in for me - just you can't see them until you take the covering film away :0 🙂

image.thumb.png.fd80b1e57c31d370a1e2c48905789929.png   

Nice, as I personally find making slots like these nicely centred can be quite tricky. 

However, you do have to make the hole for the rudder horn yourself (or of course, I might just be totally in the wrong place  😮  )

image.thumb.png.0189345aafa2f43d496228b624e4eb90.png

Dimensions and location of fuselage exit hole for snake are spot on:

image.thumb.png.d46429c44639d0f0f62c74f51d478702.png

Warning to me: however temped, do not glue horn in place with z-bend until servo sorted at other end (!)

Then had complete panic as could not find the wing-joiner - but was hiding in a safe place 🙄

Assembled as is = 400g.

image.thumb.png.a5e86ec7553f9e551453dba2d47a0d3e.png

I kind of like the all black look, but it has picked up finger prints (!)

Doing a quick CoG check with 100g 4xAA square pack as far forward as it will go indicates it needs at least 100g right in the nose. Add 50g for Rx, cables and servos etc takes weight to circa 650 say 700 if I don't get the nose weight as compact as I would like. Instructions say 680-750g so they are pretty spot on 🙂

Needs rudder & elevator servos, servo tray, rx, bat pack,  and nose weight - but a pretty fast build for me.

• Like 1

Did more precise CoG check, and only needs 52g to balance at most reward recommended CoG so will add a bit for maiden. But weight coming out at circa 620g at this CoG  🙂 

I'm not going to put a ballast tube in as I intend to use it only when my other aileron planes would just stooge around (and it's very lightly built!).

image.thumb.png.d331d78984ea7a8b166fdd96a24d44b4.png

Took Slash for quick maiden this morning but by the time we had walked to the slope (40mins) it started to drizzle, which was not of the forecast at all, just had time to launch and check basic trim, drizzle turned quickly to rain so we beat hasty retreat, it managed 4 or 5 circuits in VERY gentle slope lift and dampness without loosing height and that was all we could do before heading down the slope. Needed a little bit of up but that was about it. Will do a dive test etc when we get better weather!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the radio silence, we've had about 6 Sundays of almost calm and one that was just gales.

I've taken it up on the calmer days  but I have also taken up an Arthobby Sky-V1.7 which I built just before the Slash. At the moment, and in these conditions, the Sky 1.7 is winning when I go to select the one to fly on the hill. The Sky is a little under 500g and is a very similar size and a similar 9% thick wing. In the recent conditions I've been very conscious of the weight difference and the fact that the Slash has a built-up wing. That and the T-tail and light-weight glass fus makes the Slash seem more fragile to me. This has made me more nervous of flying it in marginal conditions, with the thought of having to land it halfway down the hill if I misjudge things and get into a lot of sink  low down.

The Sky is I think also a bit better at tracking with it's longer  tail moment.

I'm just having too much fun with it at the moment, and it's very good at catching thermals 🙂

These are obviously highly subject thoughts, the other club member who has one is a much better flyer than me - so this may help quite a bit to get the best out of the Slash.

Will keep taking it up in light conditions 🙂