Power up a 7 foot balsa built Cessna.

KenC

Have started to look at my first electric power aircraft, needless to say I am a newbie at electric power . So far I have focused on a Turingy G60 outrunner motor and a 6S 5000 battery.  I am now asking for suggestions / advice on a suitable ESC . The one I notices was YEP 80a but they are out of stock with no restock date.   Please make suggestions  based on my use of a Spektrum as3x  receiver and DX8  G2 radio..... propeller as yet undecided .

If it helps, props mentioned and spec from RapidRC

Spec.
Battery: 5~7 Cell /18.5~25.9V
RPM: 500 kv
Max current: 65A
No load current: 11V/1.9A
Current capacity: 65A/15sec
Internal resistance: 0.017 ohm
Weight: 360g (not including connectors)
Diameter of shaft: 6mm
Dimensions: 81x50mm

Test Data:
14.8v - 14x10 prop - 38A - 2200g Thrust
14.8v - 15x8 prop - 41A - 2650g Thrust
18.5v - 13x8 prop - 47A - 2850g Thrust

Thanks Denis , sadly the motor seems to be out all over in most sizes. And Hobby King YEP ESC's are a similar story !

So I guess it is read on and perhaps look at Overlander , not one Justin does I am afraid.   

If you are starting out with electric or really can't be that fussed or don't have time then give George at 4Max a call. George can normally use his wealth of knowledge with in my case sometime very little actual information come you with something spot on!

Example, Call to George with the following information, its a delta plank ply kit like a zaggie sort of, but a twin, like to use a 3S2200 lipo, probably about 2 1/2 lbs and needs to go like a bat out of hell. George specified the props, motors, and ESC's (oh and UBEC). Result it flies a treat!

Now if you then want to reverse engineer the set up and work out why George selected the components then you can in the safe knowledge that it won't cost you any more or cause any magic smoke in the process!

Alternatively pick an ARTF of the same size/type and copy that + stick it through one of the on line calculators to confirm their design.

I tend to work backwards!

• What prop diameter suits the model?
  • What batteries do I already have (can series or parallel packs if necessary) and use
  • This sends me down a path of motor size and prop speed (motor KV and lipo combo) which determines the current and thus the ECS size (amps and cell count)

IMO its a bit pointless picking a motor and then finding the prop you need won't fit the model....been there done that! Picked up a 370KV motor IIRC only rated to 4S...popped it in my Hurricane and the only way to get enough wind was a three blade prop with a frightful pitch. It did fly, but only at one speed!