Flair Cub electric conversion from 'new'

120g of church roof was placed behind motor mount spacer and an additional X mount, this allowed the wheel collet spacer and washers to be removed so the cowling still fitted.

This will allow me to use a 4S 3700 or 5S 3500.

Ready for the next flight.

58. added lead 1.jpeg

59. down the field 2.jpeg

Edited by Richard Leech 3
  • Like 1

As a side note, the covering (olive green) was obtained from Rapid RC  and I got a sample vinyl silk colour pot matched at B&Q. The match was quite good but the paint remained 'sticky' so I stopped using it. I had a bit of Tamiya drab olive green which I did the cowling in and then sprayed with gloss varnish to match the remainder of the aircraft, apart the colour match wasn't that good.!

The decals were produced on the PC and laser printed on vinyl self adhesive paper.

Decals.jpeg

• Like 1

On 19/06/2023 at 14:03, Martin Harris - Moderator said:

The lead installation looks very neat but I’d keep an eye on the mounting bolts if I were you as once the airframe is subjected to various flight and motor gyroscopic loads they may well loosen off as the lead compresses. 

Thanks Martin, when I was tightening the bolts I had similar thoughts about them coming loose with the lead compressing, but had all but forgotten about it. Thanks for the reminder, now she's flying, I will revisit the motor mount and tidy it up a bit.

• 5 weeks later...

Final adjustments:-

After a few flights, the final combination has been found for the power - 4S 3700Mah - 4250-800kv, 13x6.5 APCe, the lead has been screwed to the firewall and the R/H thrust is set at 1.6 degrees. I have found the aircraft doesn't really like cross winds when flying, so have limited operation to 8kts and below.

Conclusion - An enjoyable project, but I think the original strength of the light ply and balsa has deteriorated with age and storage conditions, with the additional strengthening carried out during the build it has made it a heavier model.

• 6 months later...

Wow what a nice Flair Cub and brilliant and Informative Post. I enjoyed reading it. I have an almost finished Flair Cub in the Basement. I never got to finish it during my teen years 🙂
I am getting back into the hobby now and I am still undecided if I should go the nitro route or give in and go electric. Back in the day I used to fly nitro so the electric thing is all new and a bit daunting to say the least.
There seem to be so many different things you need to be aware of from Battery Size to engine, controller etc etc. Its worse than building your own PC 😄
It would be awesome if I could pick your brain a bit Richard....if I decide to go electric.

cheers and happy landings

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Electric has the advantage of no oily mess, no fuel smells, always starts and its quiet - not everybody's choice of course! but I will be more than happy to help you out as required.

Look forward to your completed model, there is a 'Flair appreciation' facebook site which is useful for asking questions.

Richard

Hi Richard

thanks for the reply. Ill be sure to check back in here with any question and also fotos once I get this thing completed. Exciting times ahead...now if only I could tell my toddler that I need some build time 😄